Author Topic: trouble with rawhide  (Read 16923 times)

impala

trouble with rawhide
« on: April 28, 2007, 03:21:01 pm »
Having some trouble with rawhide backing... I bought some rawhide online, it came so dry it resembled plastic.  I tried to glue it and this certainly didn't work.  The archery store I bought it from recomended soaking it in water for an hour or so first, which did help, but it still wasn't very strong.  I tried hide glue and titebond.
What I am I doing wrong?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: trouble with rawhide
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 03:59:48 pm »
You have to soak it until it becomes very pliable, like a fresh skin. I would also wash it with Dawn dish soap to degrease the rawhide. Then degrease the wood, get the excess water off of the rawhide and add glue to both surfaces. You may have to water the glue down a little so it spreads well. I then use cloth strips about 2" wide and wrap the rawhide to each limb. Take care while wrapping because the rawhide will want to pull towards the way you wrap.  I think it is best to start with 2 pieces of rawhide, one for each limb, and glue them down separately with an overlap at the handle.
   After the rawhide is glued down and the limbs are wrapped, place the bow in a warm dry place for at least a week, 2 would be better. Even if the glue is cured you added moisture to the stave and it needs to be removed.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 04:01:28 pm »
 How thick is rawhide ? Rawhide soaks best in warm water..........bob

impala

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 04:57:02 pm »
The rawhide is about 1/16th thick...
wow!  I had no idea you'd have to wait that long for it to cure.  Thanks for the advice.

brokennock

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 07:40:05 pm »
Warm water is good, but not too warm, just over room temp. If it's too warm you'll "cook" the cologen in the hide and it will lose its elastisity. While the hide soaks I apply a thin coat of Tite-bond 2 to the 1st limb to get hide with my finger, wait till it starts to set and gets tacky, then apply another thin even layer of glue, lay the hide down rough side down and smooth out the air bubbles. Wrap with ace bandage, Do the other limb, then counter wrap the limbs with rough nylon cord. Let dry a few days then remove cord, dry overnite and remove bandage. Do NOT bend bow. If the hide seems secure give it another day then remove any hide that overhangs the sides of the limb. Still do not bend bow. I'd give it at least a week or to to cure before further tillering depending on humidity in your area.

Offline jpitts

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 11:42:54 pm »
If I were to get a dog chewy and soak it and unravel it would that work well as a rawhide backing? especially if I scraped it fairly thin?
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 01:54:14 am »
jpitts, rawhide is rawhide. You will have to thin and even out the "chewy" raw hide. It will work fine for backing if you do so.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jpitts

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 07:18:58 am »
Thanks Pat. I had head you could do that but wanted to ask about it before jumping off that cliff ;D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia