Author Topic: After much contemplation...  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Mechslasher

After much contemplation...
« on: October 30, 2010, 01:11:17 pm »
sitting in my stand this morning i am more than ever convinced that being a successful hunter involves 25% just getting in the woods and 75% pure luck.  i came to this conclusion as i climbed down from my lock on this morning because last sat. morning i watched six does and a small buck walk back and forth across a new clearing cut into the woods.  that morning the buck chased several does just out of range.  sun. morning i set the lock on i hunted this morning just inside the woods from the crossing thinking i would be guaranteed a shot.  i hunted the new stand yesterday afternoon and didn't see anything.  while walking back to my truck, i figured the stand was a morning stand and pulled the memory card from a trail camera just down the trail from my first lock on.  all 67 pics showed deer walking by late at night.  i got up this morning feel very confidant of having a shot this morning.  well, about 8:30 i heard a very faint crack and looked behind me and yep, there he was, 15' behind me looking straight into my eyes.  it was a small eight pointer i have pics of haunting the area.  he trotted off and walked 10' from my original lock on and about 9:30 i watched no less than nine does and a small spike walk down the same trail he walked on, again 10' from my original stand.  maybe i should i should dust off my golf clubs and hit the links.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: After much contemplation...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 02:58:08 pm »
Yup, he sure has a "lock" on that patch of woods.  The buck, not you.  Can you post his pic from your cam?  Be nice to see your (pardon the pun) arch-rival.

On the other hand, pick up the clubs because I am sure you would find NOTHING frustrating about your game of golf!  Right?  Perfect scratch golfer, zero handicap, nary a shank or duff! 

I'm not saying anything you don't already know, but a bad day hunting beats a good day working.  Thanks for sharing, now go touch up your broadheads again and get ready to go back out this evening. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:09:29 pm »
 And that's the reason they call it hunting, Bud :P ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 04:44:41 pm »
i wasn't a scratch golfer, but my handicap was around four or five at one time.  on the rare occasions i became frustrated on the course, i could always through my club.  as long as i threw it toward the hole.  here is a pic of the eight that caught me this morning and the four that i watched last week.  i'm hunting in my first stand in the morning just so i can watch them walk under my second set up.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 06:25:12 pm »
The thing that always bothered me was when I would hike 40 miles to get into the good hunting areas and still get skunked. My brother would road hunt and a big old buck would run across the road in front of him.

I'm not saying anything you don't already know, but a bad day hunting beats a good day working. 
After the way the economy has been for the last couple of years I would say that nothing beats a good day at work.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 09:32:25 pm »
several years ago I built a ground blind near the ridge where the deer always seemed to cross about 45 yards from a permanent stand I used quite often.
The first time I sat in that ground blind two does walked right by the permanent stand followed fifteen minutes later by a small buck........
seems like Murphy's law comes into play quite often.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 12:07:19 pm »
I have had that happen more times than I care to count,most of the time now I just stay put,patient's is a virtue I was always told. :) Nice looking deer by the way. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good