Author Topic: speaking of tools  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Frode

speaking of tools
« on: October 30, 2010, 05:33:17 pm »
I was rereading some of the "favorite tools" threads and thought I'd post my new and old favorites.
First, a hacked together shave horse.  This one makes all the others work  ;D.  To think I spent all this time dancing a church table around in the Underground Lair >:(.
After that, draw knife, block plane, spokeshave, shave hooks, and scrapers.  More or less in that order of use.
Being able to brace everything solid really makes the shaves sing!

Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:39:39 pm by Frode »
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: speaking of tools
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 06:44:20 pm »
Good stuff, Frode. I like those shavehooks. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:44:31 pm »
Thanks Jawge, you know, even though I like my draw knife, I wasn't getting near the use out of it I expected, and I see it was all because I couldn't secure the work piece.  Same was true of the shave hooks, I could see the were probably a good thing, but I just wasn't getting anything out of them.  This after noon alone I took that piece of osage the rest of the way down to one ring, mostly with the shave hooks and some flat scraping (it was taking most of a week, and most of my inappropriate vocabulary just to get halfway there), and just since supper I took the belly down by half.
I used to kid my late father in law about wood workers being more interested in making jigs than chairs.  Guess that chicken came home to root, eh?  :-X :D
Frode

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 11:11:06 pm »
You do need a solid work area, Frode.  Looks like we'll be seeing some pictures soon? :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Frode

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 11:17:17 pm »
... Looks like we'll be seeing some pictures soon? :) Jawge

Yup!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 03:18:35 pm »
Looks like you are going to be "horsing" around a bit more these days, Frodey-boy!  When I cobbled together mine it was as if my drawknife had the restrictor plate pulled and dual carbs installed. 

Just to let me know how much work the horse had been doing, it decided to let go at the kickplate one day as I was really leaning into debarking a narrow stave.  The drawkife really bit in when it all came loose, that stave centerpunched me right in the solar plexus.  I musta looked pretty funny rolling in the shavings doing an imitation of a carp in the grass trying to draw a breath and mouth curses all at the same time. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 05:44:31 am »
Ooooh, you're all teasing me with your pics of shave horses... it's on my to do list honest.
I don't think Santa can manage a shave horse :(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 09:07:47 am »
While we're on the subject, what's everybody's preference for type of shave horses, a bodger board like this one or a horse-head type?  I actually had a bodger board, but gave it away recently.  It didn't clamp down on my decoys very well, but I imagine bow staves would be a different story.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Frode

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:32:03 pm »
While we're on the subject, what's everybody's preference for type of shave horses, a bodger board like this one or a horse-head type?  I actually had a bodger board, but gave it away recently.  It didn't clamp down on my decoys very well, but I imagine bow staves would be a different story.
Well, I did the bodger style because it was easier (quicker) to build.  Two holes drilled into the bench with dowels driven in as opposed to cutting a slot in the bench, layering up the horse head, etc.  The clamp doesn't always hold as tight as I'd like, but I think that's because I need to redo some of the measurements (length of leg to foot brace, etc.) for a better personal fit.  On the other hand, I can always add a trigger clamp to the shelf to help stabilize the work.
Frode

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:08:52 pm »
Here is a shaving mule

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline gmc

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 08:23:06 pm »
Even a water bed can be transformed into bow making tools.

Central Kentucky