Author Topic: What do we know of these NC points?  (Read 6045 times)

JustinNC

What do we know of these NC points?
« on: October 28, 2010, 01:02:07 pm »

Here is what I know...please fill in the blanks with anything you have to add. These are just some points or parts Ive picked up here or there. Style names and material would be awesome.

I KNOW:
TOP ROW- Left to Right
1st- Cant remember
2nd Cant remember....Catawba County, Sherrills Ford field?? Savannah River? The backside of this point is flat.
3rd Rutherford County, near Lake Lure. Old logging road. Quartzite, possibly savannah river?
4th Lincoln County on a job site, wooded area, in an narrow area that runoff had eroded through the woods...Guilford?
5th Montgomery/Richmond County (close to the line), in a foodplot/old logging deck on a club I was in, about 1 mile down stream from Town Creek Indian Mounds in Mt Gilead.
6th Cant remember...Eastern Iredell Co maybe....Mt Ulla?

MIDDLE ROW- Left to Right
1st Catawba County, new Anderson Mt in a buddy's yard. Yadkin?
2nd Rutherford County, fresh clearcut logging road. Near Camp Bud Shiele.
3rd Lincoln County, about a mile from  Top Row 4th, in a horse pasture about daylight, coming out of the woods from coonhuntin
4th Cant remember, but would have LOVED to have seen this whole point. It's flat as a fritter.
5th Iredell County, Mt Ulla. It's brown, not dirty quartzite.
6th First point I found. Sherrills Ford, in a garden, beside Sherrills Ford Elementary School. Curious of the rounded shape? It has been flaked around the tip too. Quartzite

BOTTOM ROW- Left to Right
1st Quartzite...probably Sherrills Ford, Catawba Co, NC
2nd Quartzite....upper SC, Quartzite
3rd Quartzite, Sherrills Ford, NC, in a field
4th Quartzite, Sherrills Ford, NC, in a field

What else do we know about these?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:08:58 pm by JustinNC »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: What do we know of these NC points?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:51:24 pm »
 They are all broke ;D ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:59:59 pm »
WRONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG............ >:(

See second row, second over from left....not a chip on it  ;D

What do I know though...I just have this rhyolite and quartzite up here...we didnt have fashionable injuns that used rainbow colored coral lol

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:34:17 pm »
Top row;
1. Savannah River ~3,000 to 1,900 B.C.
2. probably also a Savannah
3. unknown (possible Savannah) we don't see too many quartz Savannah Rivers, But I don't hunt where these came from.
4. concave base Guilford out of some rhyolite that likes to hinge. ~4,000 to 3,000 B.C.
5. late Savannah or a Kirk stemmed (the more pressure flaking, the more likely it is a Kirk.  (if Kirk stemmed ~7,800 B.C.)
6. probably a Morrow Mountain II  ~5,000 B.C.

Middle row;
1. most likely a Yadkin. ~500 A.D.
2. A whole Palmer! ~10,000 to 8,000 B.C.  That is one old-timer that looks to be 100%!
3. possible Halifax? ~4,000 to 3,000 B.C.
4. unknown
5. Morrow Mountain II
6. possibly a point that has been re-worked to a scraper?

Bottom row;
1. possible Halifax?
2. Morrow Mountain
3. possible Halifax?
4. Halifax ~4,000 to 3,000 B.C. (most Halifax points are made of quatrz).
5. Looks like a Big Sandy bottom ~6,000 to 5,000 B.C.

Keep looking.  Ancient people lived around here for a long time.  Your next find may be the find of a lifetime! Good luck hunting.
Hope this helps some.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 06:43:55 pm »
Look at the picture and use references here i go;

1Row, Guildford shouldered or Early Savannah, Late Savannah,Kanawha,Guildford concave base,Kirk corner notched, possible engraver.

2Row, Caraway, Palmer, Kirk corner notched, can't identify, Morrow Mountain, Scraper made from an arrowhead.

3Row, Kirk corner notched, Next 2 possible Morrow Mountain, Halifax, Hardaway side notched

Remember that I'm looking at a picture and these are guesses based on a reference book. How to find and Identify Arrowheads and other Indian Artifacts by Frank K. Barnard 6th Edition 1996 LCC Card  # 83-167628. If you need help Pm me or send pictures.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:17:35 pm »
Dang thats were my points went to! Justin how could you take them from me!  ;D ;D
I aint even gonna take a chance at them. Wish i found them.
Thanks for sharing.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 10:24:06 pm »
well icant say as to what type they are but
i would be willing to go out on a limb here and say

they are all made ABO style  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 10:45:47 pm »
It is impressive to me that the oldest point pictured is also the best made.  Not surprising though.  They were most likely hunter-gatherers in Palmer times and had to depend on their weapons to survive.  Later points were made by people living in a community who may have had domesticated plants & animals.  I have a few Palmers that are some of the finest made points I've ever found.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline arappaho

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 12:02:32 am »
Since I've been scrolling up and down and down and up for the last thirty minutes
reading Jim and warhawks replies, I've got to add something! ;D

Justin, reading all the different areas and settings you found those artifacts at
I've got to say it sure sounds like you've got an eye for them. Way to go!
And I'm impressed that you still have that information. Knowing where they came from,
or where they were found, is the MOST important information about an artifact.

I know Jim knows his NC artifacts, and pretty much have to agree with his call on the types. ;)
And that's a good book you're using warhawk and am real impressed with your ID's as well. :)
That last one in the first row does look like a drill, perforater, or graver, but will have to go with
the Morrow Mtn II projectile too, for now.
The first one in the second row is a good example of why it is so important to know "where"
the artifact was found. If that had been found in Randolph or Chatham county, ie; near the
Caraway Mtns, it would be a lot harder to say. But being found in Catawba County I'll have to
go with Yadkin, too. It can really make a big difference where they are from when you get into the
Woodland period.
I don't see any Corner-notched Kirks in the assemblage, but there are a couple possible Stemmed Kirks.

My 2 cents, hope it helps some, and thanks for the post Justin.
Joe

JustinNC

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 09:50:04 am »
If yall get too bored this winter, I'll go get a shoe box full and post em up. I couldn't give ya locations on them, but would be willing to bet most are Iredell/Rowan, Mt Ulla....or West Rowan near the State Research Dairy Farm right after 801 takes a turn north, and Sherrills Ford Rd starts (no relation to Sherrills Ford NC)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 11:13:18 am »
I'm pretty much with Jim (Hardawaypoints) on them. Here's my take:

Top row- Guilford or Savannah River, Savannah River, S.R./Otarre Stemmed, Guilford, Kirk Stemmed, and I'll have to say probably a drill or graver but possibly a Morrow Mountain 2 point.
Second Row: Yadkin, Palmer, Kirk Stemmed, the rare NC no-base type, Morrow Mountain 2, hafted scraper
Third Row: MM2, MM2, MM2, Halifax, Halifax.

And Jim, pretty much 100% of Savannah River points west of about Statesville are made from quartzite. The smaller Savannah Rivers like the top row, third point are usually called Otarre Stemmed points in western NC. That hafted scraper is cool. And nice Palmer.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

JustinNC

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 11:27:52 pm »
Thank you fellas for your input.