Author Topic: How to apply snake skins?  (Read 6837 times)

Offline StanM

How to apply snake skins?
« on: April 28, 2007, 06:57:53 pm »
Okay,  I've got snake skins on the way, but am not sure of how to apply them.

What glue is best?

I've stained the bow on the belly, do I stain the back before skinning as well?

Do I finish the back with varnish then apply the skins?  Then varnish again?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to apply snake skins?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 07:14:34 pm »
Stan,
  The easiest glue to use is TBII or TBIII but hide glue works well also.           
Depends on the skins and the wood you used. I have never done it but the pattern on some skins shows up better if you stain or dye the back a darker color, especially if you use whitewood. You can add the skins over a finish but you don't have to. Art Butner seals the back with TBIII glue first and lets it dry well. Then he adds the skin with TBIII glue. This way the moisture trapped under the skin won't go into the wood. I have never done this but it is a good idea.
   When your skins come in we can walk you through the process of skinning your bow.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StanM

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 09:04:19 pm »
Thank you!
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Bikewer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 10:03:24 pm »
I just did my very first snakeskin, using the more traditional hide glue (Knox gelatin) method.  I found it easy to do and it turned out looking great.
Those links should explain everything.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 12:42:22 am »
Stan,

I stain the back a dark brown to bring out the pattern in the skin. I prefer using TB liquid hide glue for applying skins. It gives you plenty of working time and it has a natural affinity for the snake skin. After I stain the back (and let it dry) I apply a coat of hide glue. I let this coat dry and then coat again and apply the skins. No need to use ace bandages as the hide glue literally sucks the skins down. It is VERY important that you get all of the air bubbles out before you apply a finish over the skins or the finish will crack.
Gordon