Author Topic: Wanted: Oak Staves  (Read 3019 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Wanted: Oak Staves
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:03:08 am »
Looking for some oak staves or saplings.  I know most don't harvest oak but I like working with it.

Looking for atleast 60 inches long up to 80"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wanted: Oak Staves
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:08:29 am »
I just cut a 24" diameter red oak tree for firewood on Sunday. I'll see if any of it would work for bows for you. It may be a week or so before I can get back to it so please remind me if you don't hear back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:42:20 am »
I got a couple seasoned white oak staves. Bark removed. Been cut for a couple of years. What do you have for trade. Dean

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 04:23:34 pm »
I got some bur oak staves and several that are worked down to roughed out bows.  Problem is, it doesn't seem to make decent bows.  Good firewood, though!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 04:28:14 pm »
LOL Oak can make some great bows its all on the approach...perhaps with some backing...I like oak too as it carves nice.  I have oak in my shop.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 01:10:43 pm »
Only thing I have for trade is a lot of arrow shaft material.  This past week I've been collecting like mad.  I'll have to ask my dad what kind of bush it is but I've collected 60-70 shoots in varying thickness and spines...most are size of my pinky to big as my index.

I also have 50 bamboo shafts I cut down this past summer.

I don't have much primitive supplies...only been doing this for a year outside of work and school. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:08:59 am by aznboi3644 »