Author Topic: Urea Formaldehyde  (Read 9917 times)

Offline Mohammad Javad Shoaee

Urea Formaldehyde
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:40:48 pm »
Hello

I know that Urac 185 is Urea Formaldehyde.here i can't find Urac so i want to use Urea Formaldehyde and it's a white power dislike urac which is brown paste.
is there any difference between these?and does anybody have any experience with it?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Urea Formaldehyde
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 03:08:26 pm »
I don't believe they are the same ??? UF is a raw material, not a finished product.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 03:16:21 pm »
Are you talking about woodwelds plastic resin. if so I did a bunch of internet research on it and it is activated by water only and is not gap fillling like urac. One cabinet making talk forum called it gap filling but once you start reading their messages you realize gap filling for one group of people is not the same as another. If I remember right the woodweld website did not consider itself a gap filling glue.  btw the woodweld stuff is just a powder. and the stuff at my lumber store was grayish white. I have never used it but I think Pat B has said he has a friend who uses it and likes it.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 05:18:19 pm »
In this text has told that these are the same!
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/library/urac.pdf

It's a white powder which must be mix with water and here they just use it for making laminated boards with warm pressure.
I want to know can i use it for laminated bows?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 06:38:20 pm »
 I heard the reason Urac is brown is it has pecan shells ground up real fine for filler.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline HoBow

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:43:00 pm »
That text calls it modified UF.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 03:23:56 pm »
A past member of PA from Italy, Alby, used Weldwood Plastic Resin in his lam bows with good results...and Alby made some fine lam bows and self bows.  8) He could not get Urac in Italy but he could get Weldwood P R. I used it on a few backed bow with good results. No failures.
  It comes as a fine brown powder in a 1# tub(about $5.00) and you just add water and mix. I found it to be very similar to Urac.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:50:25 pm »
Thank you all.
problem is that i can't find or buy Urac or Weldwood here.i want to use raw urea formaldeyde which is a white powder.
i've found some formula on the net for adding flour as extender,limestone powder as filler and ammonium chloride as hardener and it'll have one hour pot life?
is it posible?

any advices are welcome?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 06:43:59 pm »
   I've never made glue except for pitch glue that I use to haft arrow heads and blades, not bows. In the Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol I there is a chapter on glues. Might be info there about concocting glues but there is a strength test you could try with your mixtures and see which is strongest or if it is viable for what you need. Casine glues, modern carpenters glues and animal glues are all used and very effective in bow making.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline shikari

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 10:29:11 pm »
Where are you located Mohammed?I am sure there are local materials available that will make the glue you need for your purpose.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 10:38:16 pm »
 The ingredients sound the same to me, just a different filler. I'd make a test batch and try it. I've had to do the same in Brazil for things I thought were simple to get in the US. We consulted Chemist, got the ingredients and mixed our own drilling mud concoction when Wyoming Bentonite wasn't available. TRY IT. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 04:18:53 am »
Thank You all.
Shekari i'm in Tehran,Iran.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:32:16 pm »
 I guess you being in Iran it would be hard for me to send you some glue?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline HoBow

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 08:48:11 pm »
If you want to pay freight- I will send a bottle of TB3...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 09:48:57 pm »
 I've got a unopened container of Weldwood I'll send and pay the freight just to see if you get it. ;D
Lakeland, Florida