Author Topic: How to make a European skull mount  (Read 101820 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: How to make a European skull mount
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2011, 03:56:39 pm »
Thanks!

I was given a turkey fryer and started using it for cooking the skulls.  It works perfect.  I can even cook two skulls at once.  I set it up in the garage and let it simmer away.  If anyone is planning on doing several euro mounts, I would highly recomend getting a turkey fryer set up.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2011, 04:14:34 pm »
I've done three bucks this year, all whitetails.  I'm using a stainless steel 5 gallon pot on an electric hotplate out in the garage.  I use tinfoil to cover the pot as best I can and hold them at a simmer juust below boiling all nite long.  The meat just shakes off in the morning and there is little scraping to do.  Then it's a trip outside to the pressure washer to knock everthing loose from all the nooks and crannies.  A half hour back in the garage mixing up and applying the heavy peroxide and bleaching powder from the beauty shop and let it rest until the next day. 

About 2 hours all told for actual work.  I've been getting $50-75 a pop for them. 

But then a guy just brought me an elk head he found dead in the woods.  Must have died in late summer, most of it is rotted off.  I can tell you right now that 5 gallon pot ain't cutting it!!!!  Someone is bringing me the bottom half of a 55 gallon barrel.  Pretty sure the ol' hotplate ain't up to this job either, so I'm planning on packing the skull, barrel tub, firewood, and my bowmaking stuff up to a public campground in the Hills and building a fire under it in one of the fire pits. 

Maybe I should bring along my Rendezvous cooking gear and a nice venison roast to cook over the fire and make a small festival out of it.  Head boilin', bow makin', meat roastin' festival. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2011, 03:06:51 pm »
That sounds like the Ticket JW...
What time should we stop by?

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2011, 10:57:39 pm »
Head soup oughta be done about half an hour before sunset.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2011, 11:28:29 pm »
Head soup reminded me of the time I took an old crock pot to work and cooked a beaver and otter skull.  Now when I take my good crock pot in to cook a deer roast, I have to swear to them that there aren't any heads in it before they will eat any. 

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2011, 01:26:47 pm »
Alright, I'll bring the Tequila...

Cause I'm thinking we're gonna need it to eat soup from a found head...  >:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2011, 02:13:11 pm »
Alright, I'll bring the Tequila...

Cause I'm thinking we're gonna need it to eat soup from a found head...  >:D

-gus

It's gonna take a tanker truck of Mexican Migraine Maker to get me to ladle up a bowlful!

Offline Blood Trail

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2012, 12:37:55 pm »
Sally's beautify supply sells this peroxide powder called Simple White. Mix that with the 30% peroxide to make a paste. Paint it everywhere and wrap in saran wrap. Place it In front of a heater for 30 mins. That stuff is heat activated. Ever wonder why women at beauty salons sit under the heat hoods? Rinse It off and let it dry. Cuts down on the peroxide soak and comes out whiter!

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2012, 03:37:33 pm »
I've done my past 2 bucks by boiling/simmering the head.  It takes about 6 hours and is a bit gross but it's a finished mount in a day so it's worth it... 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upv2rnG-F80
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2014, 10:24:34 pm »
Since its deer season I thought I would bring this back up to the top.  And I wanted to post a picture of the turkey fryer setup.  It is so much easier than a wood fire.  I cooked and cleaned a couple deer skulls today.  It was windy so I built a box around it to keep the flame from blowing around. 

Offline Adam

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2014, 01:08:44 pm »
This was so helpful! Thanks! I've got one simmering away right now. This sure beats paying someone $100-125 and I like doing as much as I can myself.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2014, 10:05:57 pm »
Glad it helped you Adam.  Post some pictures of your finished skull.

Offline Adam

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2014, 11:40:57 am »
I sure will.  I got most of the meat cooked off yesterday.  The next few days will be pretty busy for me, so it's back in the freezer for now.

Offline Adam

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2014, 11:31:37 pm »
Ok, finally got it finished up.  Having a 2 month old takes a real dent out of workshop time.  I'm very pleased how it turned out, but I still have a little residual smell that I'm hoping will go away.  I'm pretty sure I got all of the meat out of it, but there may be a little cartilage way up in the nasal cavity.  Anyhow, thanks again for the how to.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2014, 11:41:42 pm »
Looks great.  You can't get all of the junk up in the nasal passages out unless you use the beetles or the maceration process.  The peroxide should have burnt anything that is left.