Author Topic: what should I back with?  (Read 1826 times)

Offline offthegrid

what should I back with?
« on: November 03, 2010, 03:06:51 am »
So, I'm making a red oak flat bow (my first bow) and I want to back it with something. I plan on a red stain when done so I would like something that will look good stained red and of coarse need something strong.

Thanks, Mike
I'm just a squirrel in this world tryin to get a nut.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: what should I back with?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 04:10:49 am »
I have seen them backed with sinew, rawhide, drywall tape, brown paper grocery bags, even heard of using blue jeans.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Boofus

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:13:13 am »
how long is it? if it's over 62" i would stay away from sinew and just go with rawhide (dog chews work great)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:28:20 am »
If there are no problems but you just want to back it try brown bag paper with TB glue. You can stain or dye that red. Red linen or silk will do the job too.   If you have problems with the stave(grain violations , runoffs, etc) use rawhide!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:24:09 am »
I keep it as natural as I can. My favorite backings are silk and burlap. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:21:00 pm »
Just did my first rawhide backing and love it. I bet it would look nice died red as well. I should actually be posting some pictures soon of it. I was considering using a red stain with it, a red chestnut or something of that nature. That could give you an idea of how it works.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 02:09:01 pm »
I second Pat's advice.  I've used brown shipping paper for several red oak pyramid bows.  I leave the paper plenty wide, stain it, then trim it flush.  This gives a nice contrast between the paper and the wood.  Here's a picture:

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17