Author Topic: Got a little one!!  (Read 6868 times)

Offline lowell

Got a little one!!
« on: November 04, 2010, 11:18:50 pm »
Got home from work earlier than I thought I would so went out for a couple hours!!

Rode bicycle to my little stand of pines and was barely there 10 minutes and 2 fawns showed up and circled me at 20- 30 yards to my bad shooting side and I was still sitting.  They were busy finding leaves to eat and when I thought I could stand up ...I did.  They were out maybe 30 yards and heading down a trail away from me.

I then thought .....2 fawns and no mother???  I pulled the " Little Can" out and flipped it a couple times to make a doe sound.  The one doe fawn heard it and came running and thought she was going to hit my ladder stand.  She then started to walk away and when she was broadside I "nerped" and she stopped just right broadside at 10-12 yards  Hit her just right through both lungs.

I thought she may have died quick in the pines and it was early so I stayed till dark looking for her "Dad".  When I looked where I thought she would be I couldn't find her.  Went home and got lights and my wife to help look.  When we left huose it was starting to rain and thought "oh crap".  Found only specks of blood ( was expecting a lot of blood to trail).

We followed only specks through the pines and into nieghbors tall grass.  Found her maybe 80 yards from where she was shot but it was some tough tracking.

66" inch osage bow 48#@ 27"  snake skin backed .....self nocked cedar arrows with 2 blade 125gr. Ace broadhead.

Thanks for letting me share!!!!  Didn't hardly  hunt at all last year because of a bad shoulder, so sure nice to be back in the woods for deer!!

Lowell
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Got a little one!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 05:51:38 am »
Nice job,seem that is all I can get a shot at this year,Got one little one and have been holding out
on the second ,but not this coming week. Congrats and nice follow up and shot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 09:13:29 pm »
Congrat's on a fine animal. I got used to eating small deer while I was up in Alaska. A 2-year old animal might weigh 50 or 60 lbs. and were terribly tender and the liver was oh so mild and good. This year a big old muley buck and still good (Guess I ain't too picky ! :)  Good job being tenacious on the trail.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline woodstick

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:58:59 pm »
mmmmm tender vittles. great job.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 01:28:36 pm »
Great job lowell!!  That's awesome!  Nothing like taking a deer with your handmade stuff.  I was gonna ask, how was the penetration?  Did you get a pass thru? 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 04:43:19 pm »
billy, 

Did get a pass through.  Arrow broke off as she ran down the trail and we found the broadhead end and about 16 inches of shaft.  The rest of the arrow was in the deer when I gutted it.

Broadhead went between the ribs going in and nicked a rib coming out.

woodstick....ooohhhh so tender.  Butchered this morning and as soon as I had a shoulder off I put in on the smoker and alsothe ribs when they came off.  So gooood!!! 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:24:54 pm »
send some to oklahoma looks good.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 07:33:21 pm »
Way to go Lowell....I am sitting on a hillside as I type...under a 100 year old cottonwood tree in 45 mph winds ....just praying that my big 14 pointer will show himself before dark....otherwise I will  have to wait till next weekend now with this time change....the shoulder sure looks tasty....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 08:52:45 pm »
 great job brother.. nothing tastes sweeter than bow killed meat.. thanks for sharing.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 12:12:50 am »
Congrats.  Good shot, good tracking and certainly good eating.  George
St Paul, TX

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 10:05:33 pm »
Congrats Lowell,I'm glad the old shoulder came around.I'm shootin',but mine still gives me fits at times too. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Postman

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 12:35:35 am »
Congrats on a fine primitive harvest!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA