Author Topic: Introduction -- and Questions  (Read 7138 times)

Offline Wasatchhawk

Introduction -- and Questions
« on: April 29, 2007, 03:06:12 am »
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and PM'd a couple of you, thank you for your answers.

I have been bitten by the bowyer's bug a couple of times but haven't completed a bow yet.  The first time was 3 years ago while living in Michigan. Where all trees are tall and straight.  I had gone as far as selecting a nice ash tree and let it cure for 8-9 months and decided to start splitting it.  I pounded on that thing off and on for a week and only got it split halfway  I dropped the project because I found out I was moving to Utah.  My wife was tired of long drab winters and homesick for the desert.

I'm now in the desert without any trees to block my view for 100 miles and I;ve been bitten again. This time I know that if I don't build a bow soon 3/4 of my chores will go undone because I'll be day dreaming of building a bow.

The first month I was here I went looking for Goshawk nests (I'm a licensed falconer as well) with a friend.  While scrambling down a mountain side I saw a Maple tree that had just barely broke off, Probably the same week anyway.  I remember thinking how beautiful it was and hade very straight grain.  I believe I even said to myself "too bad you're not a bowyer, this would make a great bow."  I went back there this weekend and found the tree.  The truck was still standing like before but the heartwood had split off the sapwood.  The sapwood is about 1 3/8 inches thick and 7 feet long. No visible rot.  It's even shaped like a bow with tapers on either end.

The Question I have is: is it too late for this piece of maple? I believe it is Acer Glabrum.  Will it be too Brittle?  I'm not sure I want this to be my first project.  The neighbor's Mulberry is about to come down and would give me some good practice first. If not that I finally found a straight Ash that is big enough to cut and split.

Randy Hyte
Northern Utah
A Family that Preys together stays together!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Introduction -- and Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 10:35:45 am »
Randy, it is nice to see you finally came out of the closet. ;D Welcome to the addiction.  The offer still stands, you can drive down to St. George and I'll help you out.  Cut the ash and the mulberry, but you need something that is already dry to start on now. I already told you what I think about the maple, so lets hear from some of the more experienced guys. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:23:39 am »
  I'd use the Mulberry
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 11:46:34 am »
   Randy, Any wood will make a bow if the correct design is used. Maple, except for a few varieties, is marginal as a bow wood. I would venture to say that it will only discourage you more. Later, after you have a few bows under your belt, it could be a good challange for you as a bowyer.
   If you have access to ash and mulberry, Cut them and make staves and set them aside for a later date. Being that you now live in Utah where the R/H is usually pretty low, those staves will dry quicker than if you lived elsewhere.
   If you need dry wood to start a bow, just ask...or read Jawge's or the Ferret's websites for making board bows. The materials can be obtained from Home Depot, Lowe's, or any good lumber company.
   Welcome to our great site. You are now amoungst the most tallented wood bowyers in the world and every one of of us will help you as much as possible. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 12:25:28 pm »
                 Like Mullet said..............mulberry.....bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 12:37:35 pm »
Pick up a copy of Traditional Bowyers Bible vol one to start and don't forget a subscription to Primitive Archer magazine.
Like JD sugests in another thread take a class. You can post pictures of your progress here and get help.
But most of aa get busy and make some shavings.
Good Luck

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Wasatchhawk

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 06:36:05 pm »
Thank you for a hearty welcome,  That wasn't nearly as painfull as I thought it could have been.

I started seeing Primitive Archery mag on the store shelf about a month ago and then every store I went into I saw it, I bought one out of curiousity.  I guess you could say the magazine "set the hook"

However I did not get enough from just one issue, so I went to the library and learned about Inter Libraby Loans and got a copy of The Bowyers Bible, couldn't put it down for 3 days!

I will be starting on the Mulberry this week after I get my tools together. The reason I couldn't split the Ahs in Michigan was because I didn't have wedges.  I'll collect the Ash in a couple of weeks. 

I'll post pictures if I can coax my camera to work.  taking digital cameras afield helps save the memories but the elements got to my last one in under a week!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:39:02 pm by Wasatchhawk »

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 07:14:58 pm »
You should get the ash off of the ground ASAP. ??? It won't take long before fungi will set in. :'(
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 10:32:54 pm »

Randy, if you will promise to take Justin up on his offer to come to St. George and let him help you get started, I'll supply you a stave to get started on. Hopefully Justin will have room to bring it back home with him from the Tn. Classic. We might even get it roughed in if we have time. Justin will have to remind me of my offer or I'll forget with all that we'll have going on here in the next week. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Wasatchhawk

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 01:03:10 am »
What can I say?  You are very Generous Greg.  I really want to make that promise, but can't at this time.

Justin and I were talking about finding other bowyers up this way, Steve  (Badger) possibly has other contacts up here too.

Justin-- once I get settled into this new job, I will try to get together.  I would love to see a master at work.  I learn so much better by seeing something done.

Pat B -- both the ash and Mulberry are still standing.