Author Topic: Another Lurker comes out of the woodwork  (Read 6014 times)

Bobby

Another Lurker comes out of the woodwork
« on: April 29, 2007, 12:00:22 pm »
Another Lurker here,

I finally started my first bow this week. Yesterday I got the bow shaped out. It's 74" inches long, I know its long but I need at least a 31" draw, and I heard that a longer bow is more forgiving for mistakes. The limbs are 1 1/2" at the handles to mid limb then I tapered them to 3/4 wide at the tips. My question is how thick should the limbs be. Right now they are a little over 3/4" thick. I was thinking about roughing them in at 3/4 and fadding it to 3/8 at the tips. Does this sound about right? I know I might not be using the right terms but I this is my first attempt. Oh and the bow is Bois d arc. I know this is not a good wood to start with, but where I live at in Texas all there is Bois d arc, Cedar and Locust, I don't think it is Black Locust it looks like 2/3 of the trunk is pulp and the center 1/3 is heart wood. It looks like it would take a massive tree to get any staves out of it.

Thanks in advance, Lurking for the past few weeks I have gathered the motivation to start this project.

BJ
Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Another Lurker comes out of the woodwork
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:18:23 pm »
First of all, osage is an excellant starter bow wood. For most folks it is not readily available and too expensive as a starter wood. For you, that's not the case so go for it.
   Your bow is a bit long but will work out fine for you. If you come out light you can shorten it to increase the final weight.
   As far as thickness goes, I will never recommend a thickness for a finished bow because each wood will be differant even from the same tree. As part of the learning process you first get your limbs bending evenly and together. Once you've achieved that you reduce the thickness, evenly, until you get the weight at your draw. There is nothing quick about making bows. Take your time, concentrate on the task at hand and get-R-done!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 12:24:32 pm »
Bobby, as Pat says, making wood bow is not something you do by demensions, You simply remove wood in small increments adjusting the bend ( tillering) as you go. If you are not familiar with the procees you may consider starting on a red oak board just for a little practice. Good osage is pretty valuable stuff. Also, let us know your draw weight you are after and if you have a digital camera we can assist you in the tillering process. Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 12:31:31 pm »
Also you should but the Traditional Bowyers Bible series, at least get volume one
I would also recommend a subscription to Primitive Archer magazine ;D
You can also post pictures and folks will help ya out.
Good luck and keep us informed.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 03:56:34 pm »
I think osage is a great beginner wood. The durability and strength that makes it so valuable makes it a little more forgiving.  You must be a tall bugger if you want a draw at least 31".  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 04:19:10 pm »
Comming out of the woodwork!!! Dang, we's got termites!!!!  ;D

Welcome to the site and good luck on the bow. Everyone here will help you out so dont be afraid of posting questions and pictures.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:39:54 pm »

Bobby,
If you just want a safe thickness dimension to start with, I usually go a couple of inches out from the fades and measure from the bows back (side facing away from you when holding the bow to shoot) 5/8". I would then go mid limb and measure 9/16" from the back again. Carry this 9/16" dimension from midlimb to the tips. This is for a holmegard style bow which has the same limb width (not thickness) to about midlimb, then tapers to the tips.

If you're making a pyrimid that has a constant taper from fades to tips, I would start off to be safe with 5/8" all the way from outside the fades to the tips. With the extremely long length you're talking about, you can easily cut the same amount off each end tip if the weight comes in light. Be sure that you draw 31", that is long for a selfbow. I drew 31" with a compound many years ago, and now draw 27" with a selfbow. Different stance shortens the draw length.

You might think about eventually reducing to 1/2" tips. Hope this helps... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...