Author Topic: bow wood  (Read 7988 times)

Offline terence pinder

bow wood
« on: April 29, 2007, 12:02:20 pm »
hi everyone, im a total newbie and have just finished reading all 3 tbb. in my area in saskatchewan poplar trees are abundant but i dont ever recall reading about them. i do have access to birch and maple, would these be better bow woods than poplar? ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bow wood
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:10:17 pm »
Hard(sugar) maple and birch would be better than poplar for bows. All would be good for arrows!   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 02:10:48 pm »
...Terence....Poplar will make decent huntin' bows BUt they have to be wide and long to releive the stress on the wood. Made a few in the past. Huntin' bows are different than "archery " bows. That said Rock Maple (sugar) would be easier to do as Pat said. Whatever you decide good luck and show or post, lots of help here on this forum............bob

Offline terence pinder

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 10:44:29 pm »
thanks guys. the maple trees in my area arent sugar maple im not quite sure what kind they are? ill have to look into it. but how long and how wide would you suggest for the poplar? and one last question what is the difference between a huntin bow and and an archery bow?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:18:52 pm »
.........Huntin' bows aren't as purty  lol. Their purpose is to take game,need to be as unobtrusive as possible and don't need the refinement usually associated with archery bows. That dosent mean they should not be crafted as carefully as possiible. The popular bows I have made have been(2 as I remember) were 2.5 wide at fades tapring to 1/2" at tips, 68" ntn, pulled 52-53 lbs @ 26"and tillered to 28" for safety. I've only worked with rock maple and not others so I can't offer any opinions there.............bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 01:18:39 am »
With birch you could make the same bow but make it 2" wide.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline terence pinder

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 10:23:08 am »
thanks guys maybe ill give both a try

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 11:10:50 am »
You should have Elm over there as well and Elm is superior to any of those, if you can find a decent tree
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

davidneils

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 11:24:37 am »
If you've read all three volumes of TBB, I'd suggest trying one of those meat slaying bows in TBB II where the bow narrows from 2 1/2 - 3 inches at the fade outs to
1/2 tips (approximately). You can tiller these bows just based on the profile. According to Tim Baker, it should take you no more than 10 minutes to make.  ;D

I prefer Bamboo backed Ipe for performance, looks, and durability. But if I was starting out I'd definitely use a hickory stave or a hickory backed hickory board.

I hope this helps,

David

Offline snedeker

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 02:43:59 pm »
Bur oak extends into Sask.   Its in the white oak group, reasonably hard, with interlocking grain.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:47:15 pm by snedeker »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 10:30:28 pm »
Yes, birch and maple would be better than poplar. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline terence pinder

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 01:52:53 am »
thanks guys   i guess i should say i live in northern sask and havent seen a whole lot of elm or bur oak. but i could probly try a board bow.thanks again!