Author Topic: 1st osage attempt?????  (Read 7859 times)

Offline lowell

1st osage attempt?????
« on: April 29, 2007, 11:03:48 pm »
Would appreciate any constructive criticism on my first osage bow!!!!

I have the poundage very close to what I was aiming for...about 50 lbs. at 26". I could give up a couple pounds if there is something that is in need of being fixed. The bow is 65" nock to nock.

Thanks for any help, Lowell

[attachment deleted by admin]
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline venisonburger

Re: 1st osage attempt?????
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 11:40:24 pm »
It looks pretty good to me, great job for your first attempt, or is it just your first attempt with osage.
VB

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:48:56 pm »
.....Lookin' good ! IMO Tips look to be a bit whip tillered but overall looks great. Hey, some foks like whip tillered bows. Nice work....bob

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 12:13:21 am »
This is my first at making an osage bow. Now that I have tried osage I really like working with it. I was kind of intimidated by having to chase a ring which I didn't do with the elm but it was not as hard as I had expected.

I have made about 5 board bows and 3 elm bows from staves and broke one elm bow while making it.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 12:45:08 am »
The tiller looks spot on to me.  Get a handle on it and get that sucker finished.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 12:47:24 am »
Lowell, I think you did a fine job with this osage bow. ;) The tiller looks good to me. How does she shoot?    BTW, what is your draw length? At 65" you could maybe lose a few inches to increase weight if need be. Also you could kick up the tips a bit for a little extra kick...or you could leave her just like she is and enjoy her.
   I think that osage is one of the easiest woods to chase a ring. There is such a difference between the early and late wood that I could remove a ring blind folded I think. ::)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

330bull

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 01:24:38 am »
Excellent job regardless of how many attempts.  Get that puppy finished!   ;D

Joe

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 08:52:54 am »

You should be pleased with that outcome...great job! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline lowell

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 09:30:39 am »
Pat B.

I couldn't wait to shoot it but it was before I had narrowed the handle down and with a string that was a little too long. I was  surprized that it still shot where I was looking!

My draw is just 26". I have been shooting a 46# elm bow very good and wanted to bump the wieght on the osage up just a little. I struggled for many years with a bow that was to much poundage for me and don't want to do that again.

What do you me "kick up the tips"???

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 09:39:25 am »
He means recurves. ;)
You could get the inner limbs bending very slightly more, but it'll be just fine if you leave it where it is.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 11:31:15 am »
Lowell, If you are comfortable with the bow the way it is then just shoot it and enjoy. You can play with other design ellements with the other bows you are gonna build...and we all know there will be others! ;D  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 01:22:24 pm »
Congratulations. Nice bow. I just like the bending to start at the end off the fade. Don't touch this one. Just be cognizant of where the bending starts on your next one and make sure it starts where you want it to. Enjoy.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!