Author Topic: how do you shape a trade point without screwing up temper?  (Read 5372 times)

Offline recurve shooter

how do you shape a trade point without screwing up temper?
« on: November 18, 2010, 02:10:24 pm »
i have alot of old sawmill bandsaw type blade at home. id like to try to make some trade points but i dont know how to cut and shape the stuff without getting it to hot and screwing up the temper, or would steel like that even be tempered to hold an edge?  ???
lets just shoot it

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: how do you shape a trade point without screwing up temper?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 02:23:12 pm »
Go Slooooooooow.  Also, I like to keep a cup of water on hand to douse the trade point in to cool it off.  As long as you don't get it hot enough to glow i think you will be fine.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 02:44:47 pm »
Or you can do the same as when making a  knife blade....heat it red....let cool very slowly....then shape it.... file your bevel on it...then heat it red again...quench in peanut oil...or any oil for that matter...then  put it in the oven at 450 to 500 for a few hours...and then shut off the oven...and let the pieces cool  slowly to lock in the temper....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 05:07:30 pm »
 I cut mine out with a hammer and chisel. Then file the edges to straighten and sharpen them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline agd68

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:03:49 pm »
Heat treat as El Destructo discribed or go old school and use a file. Dremel tool cut off discs work good too  but are fragile so go slow.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline uwe

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:17:58 pm »
File? Hard to do! I did it with an angle grinder and very thin blade on it (about 1mm). So it doesn`t get too hot. If you think cool it with water while working on it. first I did it with these bigger sort of metal shears (sorry don`t know the word for it) leverage metal shears???
Problem doesn`t work so exact and depending on from which side you cut it rounds up, which is later to be flatened.
Hope this helps!
Uwe

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:51:43 am »
Use angle grinder to cut out and rough in angle, temper, a map torch will work to temper no need to get fancy its only bone you have to shoot through.  I use old skill and table saw blades.  Make very dependable heads and super sharp!  Just a tip, I only rough in blade then mount then finnish the angle with a 1in x 36in belt sander this allows you to straighten the tip up if you mounted the broad head slightly off.  The sander removes metal with out changing the temper.

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 09:34:50 pm »
I have used circular saw blades from a saw mill, by the time I got them cut out with a hand held angle grinder they were too hard to sharpen with a file and had to be annealed with heat. I used to keep the stoick quenched while cutting but now dont bother. I think just try and see where you end up and then make corrections to your process if nescarry. A 4 1/2 inch side grinder with the thin cutting blades works good.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 11:52:22 am »
   I also use saw mill blades.I use a grinder and go slow when it starts to get warm have a cup of water and keep in cool.
  Or I have tempered mine before by heating cherry red then dip in water with ice. What ever you use it will give you different Rockwell hardest.Water different oils etc.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 09:31:11 pm »
I know this does'nt answer your question recurve,but,I cut my points out on a chop saw,(mostly old bandsaw blades),bevel the edge,then heat cherry red and quench in motor oil,3 times.It seems like they hold an edge better. JMHO God Bless
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:05:05 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas