Author Topic: natural purple stain  (Read 13188 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
natural purple stain
« on: July 15, 2006, 05:47:00 pm »
hey all, been playing with mullberries trying to make a dark purple stain.tried mushin em, boilin em down to goo, mixin with linseed oil, paint thinner, lac. thinner. it always seperates. Oh, did try mixin with rubbin alcohal, didnt seperate but came out 2 light(looks good on lighter woods) but not on osage. any suggestions?
                                                       Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: natural purple stain
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 08:57:20 pm »
If you live where pokeberries grow, they will make a pretty potent purple stain/dye. They should be ripening in within the next month or so.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 11:56:47 pm »
Try vinegar.  Dont know but it sucks everything else out.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 01:42:22 am »
never heard a pokeberry, ill see what i can find out and let u know. thanx
                                                                                     Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 11:15:19 am »
Where do you live?
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 06:08:23 pm »
Hallsville, Mo. Hillbilly- pretty much right in the middle of the state. What does pokeberry look like? Is it a wild berry?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 06:20:35 pm »
You should have pokeberry, then. It's a common weed around here, grows about head high, big and bushy, has a purplish-red stem and purple berries in late summer. Lots of birds and animals eat the berries, but they're poisonous to humans if eaten in large quantities. People around here eat the young shoots in the spring, called "poke salad". The juice of the berries used to be used for ink, dye, etc. Here's a link to a site with some photos and info: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PHAM4
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 07:37:32 pm »
Thanks

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 02:45:13 am »
 koAn,Ever hear of the song"Poke Salad Annie" by Creedence Clearwater Revival? 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 09:41:38 pm »
 ;) Ya mullet, im a big CCR fan.lol-couldnt find any thing on Gov. websight so I pulled out the big guns(called Grandma).she said come on down we can walk right to it.... after she warned me how poisenous they are! She lives 20 min. from me. It pays to know the right people.lol
                                                                                                                                                            later Brian

Offline Hhop

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 11:08:47 pm »
Poke berries should provide a nice dark stain for you.

I have to check in on the "Poke Salad Annie" song though. As I recall, the song was by Tony Joe White. He did the original version that I remember anyway, kind of a One Hit Wonder. That was probably a few years before CCR hit the charts. My mind is full of useless trivia like that!

Harold
You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 04:49:23 pm »
I've used pokeweed berries to stain my arrows.  One thing to be sure to do before you rub it on the wood: sand the area where the berry juice will go.  That way it will soak into the wood.  Once that's done, then burnish it by rubbing a bottle over the area.  That should help seal it in.  The color might not be uniform, but it will help the wood retain the color.  then you could restain it several times.  Pokeweed berries make a really vivid purple/dark pink color.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 07:53:57 pm »
  Harold,Yep you're right there.Forgot about him.And my wife reminded me Creedence was called Willy and The Poor Boy's When they first did it. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Ehkahk

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 11:21:51 am »
Buckthorn berries will give a dark purple-black stain as well

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 12:30:52 am »
 :D got my poke berries, getting purple goo on my com. keys right now. Thanx Hillbilly.- never heard of Buckthorn Ehkahk, what it look like?
                                                Brian