Author Topic: Cut some good Missouri Hedge, any ideas on a bow?  (Read 2401 times)

Offline DavidV

Cut some good Missouri Hedge, any ideas on a bow?
« on: October 15, 2015, 04:34:32 pm »
Just 4 staves but these have thick rings with really nice early/latewood ratio... One pass with a scraper completely cleans up an earlywood ring. Staves are 61" long and mostly knot free on the back. Any ideas on what to make with this first one I have roughed out?

Springfield, MO

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Cut some good Missouri Hedge, any ideas on a bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 05:24:19 pm »
Looks like nice wood for sure. I say you build a bow with that first one :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 08:29:33 pm »
Ha, well that's the plan. I am thinking about bending some statics into it after seeing what blackhawk did with his latest bow.... might go with more brushnocks though.

As much as I like some whitewoods, it's good to get back to the yellow stuff.
Springfield, MO

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 08:42:04 pm »
That would make a nice static for sure. Might have good luck keeping those thick rings from ripping when you bend the hooks in.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 12:26:10 am »
Those look nice David! Are you sure that is Missouri gold? I didn't think that it grew like that around here!

I think a set of those Leppard wood brush knocks would look great on a piece of hedge! They sure looked good on the one you had at the gathering!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 05:59:15 am »
Nice looking wood, should be able to build anything you want from that. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DavidV

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 08:49:55 am »
Don't doubt Missouri's osage Patrick :) just have to find the right spots. These were on a north facing slope under the canopy, they didn't grow that much when leafing out because of it. The field osage isn't as good I don't think.

Springfield, MO

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 09:52:35 am »
Look forward to what ya create from those, David!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 10:15:09 am »
Here is a bow I built a few years ago with a similar stave to what you have there. I left a ring or 2 of sapwood on and with the high crown I decided to rawhide back it...

This is one of the bows I added a leather handle riser to because I sawed the 2" pole in half lengthwise to make 2 staves. This bow also bends through the handle so another reason for the bendable handle riser...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC