Author Topic: Mississippian mound builder - bow speculation  (Read 34505 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Mississippian mound builder - bow speculation
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2015, 08:17:02 pm »
Swamp Monkey--that's an interesting drawing you posted and observations. From what part of the state/park was this found?

The latest issue of National Geographic has an interesting up-dated article about migration and settlement of the Americas, it gets us away from the idea that all first peoples came over via the Bering strait.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:55:43 am by Hrothgar »
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DC

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2015, 09:18:59 pm »
Gives us a rough idea of when peyote use first started ;D ;D

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2015, 09:19:47 pm »
Swamp Monkey--that's an interesting drawing you posted and observations. From what part of the state/park was this found?

I don't know for sure where this is.  I will have to do some research to find out where it is.  I would bet it is somewhere in the Southern Half of Missouri.  that is where most of our Karst is located.  Beyond that I am only guessing.  I will post if I find something.

The latest issue of National Geographic has an interesting up-dated article about migration of settlement of the Americas, it gets us away from the idea that all first peoples came over via the Bering strait.

I will have to stop by the newstand to get a copy.  thanks for the heads up.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2015, 11:59:14 am »
I found an interesting book on shell engravings that shows some fascinating finds from Spiro Mounds in OK.  Eleven cups have depictions of arrows and arrowheads.  Flared nocks are often depicted with a few varieties of fletching style. One arrow image depicts what could be interpreted as line wrapping around the shaft to keep the fletching in place. Two cups depict bows only and five depict use of a bow with arrows.  In addition there are four gorgets with bows being held by twin warriors. 

The bows are one of two bow types - either simple bows or they are reflex/deflex bows.

I am almost done with my mound builder style tools and plan to embark on my mound builder inspired bow journey late spring/summer of 2016. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:00:31 pm by swamp monkey »