Author Topic: Boo in glass bows?  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Kegan

Boo in glass bows?
« on: November 17, 2010, 11:54:57 am »
I'm working on about half a dozen selfbows and a few glassies (mostly to sell and make some scratch for Christmas shopping). Sorta ran into a wall though. I'm using maple for the glassies' limbs with good success, but am interested in trying some boo in there (mostly for my buddy Art who is liking lighter bows around 30#). I can't find anywhere to order from besides Frank's Cane and Rush though. I know bamboo varies alot between species or sub species, and several folks have used Frank's boo for laminated wood bows, but does it matter in glass bows? I mean. It's light. And rather elastic. And I use black glass so looks don't even really matter.

Anyone know if it does ????

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Boo in glass bows?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:06:57 pm »
  Kegan, go to a flooring store and buy some Bamboo Flooring. It's already flat.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:48:37 pm »
  Kegan, go to a flooring store and buy some Bamboo Flooring. It's already flat.

The only flooring place around here only does oak, and Home Depot's flooring is MDF with a 1/64" bamboo veneer over it :(.

After seeing the mess at Home Depot I don't even trust the flooring Frank's sells.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 07:11:28 pm »
Kegan, it doesn't really make all that much difference what you put between the glass, the glass does all the work. The wood is just spacers. Steve

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:11:22 am »

Doesn't Knight have bamboo for backing bows?  Maybe you could get a thick piece from them. ;) 8)

Wayne

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 07:02:54 pm »
Thanks Steve :)

Wayne, how much does he charge for a strip of boo?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:33:22 am »

Keagan, I don't know, but I think Eddie (Mullet) would be able to tell you, or get you in touch with them.  They are on here, occasionally.  From what I have seen, and heard, they do fantastic work, and have great products.

Wayne

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 08:43:35 am »
Kegan
 I own a Carbon fiber backed boo bow. its light and shoots like a rocket.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 10:30:19 am »
Kegan, it doesn't really make all that much difference what you put between the glass, the glass does all the work. The wood is just spacers. Steve

LOL.... Thanks for confirming what I have suspected for years Steve....  ;D  ;D  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 12:29:50 pm »
Kegan, I have a boo strip that is 1/4" on the edge and 5/16" at the crown that you can have for the cost of shipping.  This came from relatively large diameter boo so it is pretty flat. I got it for a backing strip and never used it.  I may even have a piece of boo flooring too. I'll have to check.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 04:33:42 pm »
Pat, that's very kind of you! However, if the quality doesn't matter with glassies I'd rather use something cheap and easily replaced rather than a good wood bow backing. Same with DKnight's boo.

Which is why I wish I could find boo flooring around here that's solid boo, and not a sawdust liar :P

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 04:37:48 pm »
You can order boo lams from Binghams.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 10:48:29 pm »
A boo core will make a lighter bow so it does make a little difference. Thats why some are using foam cores as well. I think you will find that the boo core bows of the same design to be a bit noisier than the maple as well.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 02:16:19 pm »
Thanks for all the help everyone, I appreciate the input :). Comparing all the prices I think I'll give Frank's a try. I'm sending an order out for glass and glue soon. Hopefully selling a couple glassies will cover the costs and leave a little left over for holiday shopping.

Again, thanks for all the help :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 06:42:27 pm »
Boo is not all that light, I think about .70. Maple and red elm are both lighter. Boo is considered very stiff for it's weight but used as a core it just doesn't really make all that much difference. Lots of pro glass bow makers will talk more propaganda than facts. Boo does make a good core because it is durable but plenty of other woods can make just as good of core. Steve