Author Topic: Making dry sausage  (Read 3142 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Making dry sausage
« on: November 19, 2010, 02:35:55 pm »
My friend jeff and I mad a smoke house today and we are wanting to make some dry sausage do any of y'all have some hints or tips on making it like drying time ect....
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Little John

Re: Making dry sausage
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:17:35 pm »
We made jerky a couple of times in a friends smoke house, while I have never heard of dried sausage I would just dri to desired dryness. Is it seasoned meat that will be re  constituted with water and then cooked at a later date? My wife dehydrated everything you can imagine this year from our garden and orchard, sure is a good way to  stock up. does dot need to be frozen to keep. I am  going to carry lots of it into my hunting camps next season. I know you could make lots of light weight backpacker meals, and better than the hi dollar ones you would have to buy. Lets know how the sausage turns out.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:27:11 pm »
  I'm like Kenneth, I've never heard of it. But I'm curious.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:29:38 pm »
   Man I  wish I  paid  better  attention!!  all  us Italians  here  used to  make that  stuff!  I used to  help my grampa  we dried it in the attic in  the summer  we'd basically make regular Italian sausage and hang it over a clothes line for a month we  called it  summer sausage  the old timers are dieing off fast  I'll ask around   all I could remember was it had more black pepper in it, but it mellowed when it was ready  man that was a long time ago JEFFW

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 01:59:53 am »
little john dry sausage is a fermented sausage.Air and nitrite cures it instead of heat.it all depends on what kind your wanting to make.What exactly are you after?
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 01:16:21 pm »
Please read into makin dry sausage before you try it because if you dont you could make something very very bad.Dry sausage basically uses nitrite and nitrate curing salts to push out enough moisture so that spoilage bacteria cannot grow.A starter bacteria  that produces lactic acid to inhibit bacteria growth is used in all commercial dry's.Please do your research this type of sausage is wonderfully flavored but dangerous to make.
Try this website,all the recipes are copyright'd so they should safe.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »
Awwwheee pod-nah, me love some andouille.