Author Topic: Need Ur Help to finish this BOW!!!  (Read 4363 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Need Ur Help to finish this BOW!!!
« on: November 19, 2010, 04:49:19 pm »
Hi guys,I am stumped on what I want to do to complete this bow!  It was 72" but due to a knot I wanted to take it down and try something different.  It is now59" and the bending limbs are both 25".  It is a self bow made from Ash.  I am looking to back it with sinew other than that wanted to perhaps recurve it or deflex reflex...any ideas I would certainley appreciate it!  Thanks guys!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Need Ur Help to finish this BOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:55:42 pm »
Oh forgot to mention it is 1-3/4" at fades and 7/8" at tips, the back is all one growth ring.  I like this bow and kinda my trade mark design for a flat bow riser and shelf cut out.  I am looking for finish ideasand or opinions on what some of u would do to this bow if it were urs.  who knowsmaybe I will make another one for one of u to finish!  Sounds like a plan.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:31:53 pm »
I bet that would look real nice and would really get some great performance if you recurved the tips before sinew backing it. Looks great so far.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:11:42 pm »
I have never worked ash, but if its at one growth ring why would you sinew back it? especially at that lenght?  It would look awsome with flipped tips and some nice elk antler overlays, and a braintan handle wrap and rest. Looks great so far.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline ohma

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:40:59 am »
im with riley flip the tips ,leave the good back alone ,apply some oxblood leather dye.finish with tru oil,nice leather wrap and you have a looker and shooter with out the other labor or material.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:22:07 pm »
72" is way to long to get the performance from a sinew backing. If your back is sound leave it bare, if it has durability issues back it with rawhide, silk, linen or brown bag paper.
  Ash takes stain very well. You could either use a stain full strength or "water" it down to get a washed effect. If you use leather dye or rit dye use alcohol to "water" down the dye.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:57:01 pm »
Thanx for the tips!  Pat it is 59" The back is sound and at one growth ring but I like the way it is turning out but wanted insurance.  I have a few options for adding overlays one is bone the other I have some real nice old pieces of black walnut it might look good!  Well let me get to steaming and get back to u all shortly..

Thanks

Russ

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 07:23:11 pm »
So many projects going at once is caos sometimes but heres an update on flipping the tips as mentioned previously!  Its a simple method used by many, I read how to do it this way in Jim Hamms book "Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans"  Its a great book.  So here the update slowly but surely making progress....

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 07:36:42 pm »
Wow those recurves are looking nice. Coming along. Keep us posted.         Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:40:05 pm »
59" is a bit short for an Ash recurve. I'd be worried that shelf area is going to cause trouble. You can get away with that on wood with more interlocked grain but Ash can be quick to split on a stressed area once it gets some pressure.
 Contrary to the opinions of others, especially the guys who just skimmed your post and didn't realize you'd cut the stave down, I'd be adding some sinew to that and probably heat treating too.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:32:51 pm »
Looking great!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 09:13:19 am »
Is it 59 tip to tip or N-N,I would probably sinew or at least rawhide if I was going for a draw much over 25-26. Also need to be sure you don't get any bend in the handle[arrow cut out area]
or it will probably pop up a splinter or worse there. :) Filpped tips look great. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 11:16:09 am »
Thanks guys and Pat this is exactly why I wanted to add the sinew... I could have left it 72" but that knot worried
me . I know it is short and as u mentioned the grain isn't like hickory or locust so backing is a must.  Thanx for the help.  Pappy how r u and thanx for the kind words my friend.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:21:53 am by AncientArcher76 »