Author Topic: Would Alder Make Good, Heavy Shafting?  (Read 10723 times)

duffontap

Would Alder Make Good, Heavy Shafting?
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:47:20 pm »
I'm looking for 23/64ths arrows that spine around 60-70# and weigh a lot.  Is alder a possibility?

J. D. Duff

Lloyd

Re: Would Alder Make Good, Heavy Shafting?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 12:22:09 am »
I've never used it myself (yet). It is listed among the arrow woods in Toxophilus but Ascham doesn't seem to like it. That is assuming that what we refer to as Alder is what Ascham refers to as Elder?

One of my pet projects is to work my through all of the woods that Ascham mentions. So far I've tried oak, ash, poplar & birch. I have some beech on the way and want to try hornbeam next.

"Again Hulder, black thorne, Serues tree, Beche, Elder, Afpe, and Sallow, either for their weakness or lightness, make hollow, starting, studding, gadding shafts"

Lloyd

duffontap

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 03:34:19 am »
Thanks.  I love Ascham's book.

J. D. Duff

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 08:42:36 am »
Elder (Sambucus) is a different wood from alder (Alnus). As for the arrows, try making one and see how it turns out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

tomm

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 11:20:05 am »
JD I have though the same thing. I don't now how heavy though as after it dryers it seames lite to me I was looking at the small limes of trees about 2" around. tomm

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 03:45:59 pm »
JD don't do it! Alder sucks in tension. When you go to shoot it it will want to snap. You could seriously end up hurting yourself. Only good thing alder is good for is in furniture or firewood. It can not stand up to vigorous flexing. Here on Whidbey Island every winter lost of alders just snap and shatter from wind storms. I hardly ever see cedar or fir doing this.

I just see this image of you with a shaft stuck through your arm!!!  :'(  Please don't use it!!!!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

duffontap

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 07:09:15 pm »
I think you're probably right David.  Poplar is very similar though and lots of medieval war arrows were made out of poplar.  Thanks guys.

J. D. Duff

brian melton

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 10:50:28 pm »
D tiller,

Cedar sucks in tension, as does a lot of arrow woods. I know Vern holstead said "red alder" made very nice easy to spine arrows. I would give it a shot!

Brian

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 02:52:40 pm »
Port Orford is a cedar, makes great shafts. Also, tight grained heartwood of cedars is very dense and makes good shafts. The Alder here in the Northwest, I dont believe, is the same as red alder. From what I know of alder arround here is it sucks in bending and will bust easily. Maybe a different species would work fine but I'm not going to stake my body and a sharp splinter on the alder arround here.

David T.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

duffontap

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 10:23:10 pm »
It is true that cedar is weak in tension.  It's also true that our alder trees snap like twigs in the wind.  I know that Alder has zero rot resistance--something I've always blamed its weakness on.  I think I'll make up some alder shafts and shoot them at rocks to see how strong they are. 

J. D. Duff