Author Topic: call me crazy but....  (Read 2587 times)

Offline recurve shooter

call me crazy but....
« on: November 22, 2010, 12:35:33 am »
FINALLY got my hawken to shoot something close to right. i hadnt been able to hold a group worth snot, so finally i got some polishing compound stuff and polished down the bore. that took my groups at thirty yards from like four or five inches to about a two inch group. then i decided to try loading a layer of dry instant grits between the powder charge and the patch, hopeing it would be kind of a buffer and keep my patch from blowin appart. next 3 shots, same hole, slightly low and left. adjusted sights, switched targets, next four drilled out the bulls eye. all four shots touching. i am a happy camper.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Thwackaddict

Re: call me crazy but....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 02:01:06 am »
Sweet!!! :D Talk about Blowin Grits!!!! :o
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 09:53:10 am »
I shoot a .54 and tried a 28ga(same as .54) wool wad between my powder and patched ball. My groups tightened up a bit. The reason I wanted to use the wad was I leave my rifle loaded for a long time during hunting season and didn't want the patch lube migrating to my powder.

I bet if you used a wool patch you would have the same result as your grits. If you are blowing patches you have the wrong patch/ball/powder combo. I recommend a smaller ball and a thicker patch.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 12:38:39 pm »
i may try the smaller ball/thicker patch combo.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 12:22:31 am »
I knew there had to be a good use for grits!  (said the northerner! )  Kidding, I actually like the durn things.

I have used grits over powder in black powder revolvers and as packing in the loose shot in a smoothbore shotgun to prevent the shot from deforming, but never thought to use it in a rifle.  I wonder if a small card wad over the powder and then the grits might help, too. 

MUzzleloading season is three weeks away and I am dialing in the ol' swamped barrel .50 flinter at this time, something else to tinker with!  Thanks!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:41:49 am »
 JD, I've never thought of using it in my shotgun, but have used it in my pistol and rifle. You gave me something to think about, now. Maybe I can tighten up my Pattern more?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 10:34:47 pm »
gotta love grits. by the way, whoever told me to try them in my revolvers, and i think it was mullet, THANK YOU!! they work very well.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 11:26:46 pm »
 ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?