Author Topic: Sad days ahead...  (Read 5660 times)

Offline Michael C.

Sad days ahead...
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:50:55 am »
Well we got the results back from my daughters allergist and they say she is highly allergic to dogs. We have two Labs, one chocolate and one black mixed and they tell us we have to get rid of them. The allergists says even going out to feed them is not good for her and I kept trying to deny it, but I know he's right. I don't want my daughter to know or even think that the reason we are getting rid of them is because she's allergic; we've waited a few weeks and told them that off and on our yard just isn't big enough for them and we want them to be able to have a big field to play in. They are both smart kids and probably don't buy it, but I don't want them to think it's because of her allergies because she would feel terrible.

We bought the chocolate lab and someone dumped the black one off in front of our house and he ended up as part of the family, because I didn't have the heart to take him to the animal shelter.

We have been trying to find a home for both of them for the past 2 months and found someone to take the chocolate lab in 2 days, but the little black mix hasn't been spoken for. I knew we wouldn't have a problem with finding someone to take Koa, because he's just what you think of when you picture a chocolate lab. We've called every non-kill shelter we can and no one is willing/able to take him either, we even tried fibbing and telling them we found him and they said they didn't have room.

I don't know what to do at this point, but my wife thinks we should put him down instead of sticking him into the animal shelter, because she thinks it's better if we are there with him than if he is in the shelter for 2/3 weeks and then he gets put down alone. I don't want him to be in a shelter and then euthanized anyway, but there is a chance he may be adopted. I really doubt he will be because everyone wants a puppy and hes two years old. I think he's a beautiful dog, but you can tell he's not a full lab, I'm pretty sure he's part rot or pit and I know that's another strike against him. He's not very interested in people outside my family, so I don't know that when he's been cooped up for a week he is going to be any more sociable, he's not aggressive just sort of shies away and doesn't want anyone but us touching him. I feel like such a terrible person for even considering this but my daughter has eczema and bad allergies with the dogs and if you have ever dealt with either one of these you might begin to understand why I am considering it.

Man my heart's hurting but I know we can't keep them if we want my daughter to get better. Not even sure why I'm writing this, I think maybe it helps me just getting it out, because it makes me sad to think after rescuing him two years ago he's going to end up in the same fix he was in. Maybe someone out there knows anyone in Oklahoma who needs a good farm dog? He's housebroken and stays in a fenced in area in our garage at night. I won't lie and say he doesn't bark because he will if there is someone creeping around the fences and front yard. He's a great dog though and I'm really at my wits end... :( I'll put a sad face if that helps.

Koa and Yoda

Yoda and Seth

This is the one that breaks my heart when I look at it  :'(
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Sad days ahead...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 07:06:45 am »
Sad, been there and done that,Beau had the same problem when he was young,thank goodness he grew out of it. I had a good friend take care of the problem for me. :( Didn't want to put him in a shelter. I feel for you,I love my dogs.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline theleatherk

• My first bow - Silk backed Osage
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 09:48:32 am »
Just keep looking and praying, buddy. We're meant to love on dogs just like they're meant to love on us. And he sure looked like a good dog.. If I could I'd take him, but it's not all fun and games in my little apt.

Most of all, keep your head up and be filled with HOPE rather than sadness.
In love with nature, the way the earth is listening to my heart beating, as I wish to fly...

Can make anything out of leather - PM me. :)
Kylie
Cincinnati, OH

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:28:53 am »
Dang that is a diffucult situation. I feel for you.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:37:28 am »
I feel for you, it's very hard losing a dog, let alone 2...

I had a 2 year old chocolate lab that fell into a well in an abandoned farm yard, and there was nothing I could do to save her.  I've lost family members - grandparent, uncles, etc., but I have never grieved like that before in my life.  I was depressed for weeks.  This story probably isn't helping at all, but I know what it's like.  Labs are very special dogs that have a wonderful energy to them.

As for Yoda, don't give up on him.  Have you checked to see if there are any rescue groups in you area?  These are different than shelters, they have foster homes that take dogs in until they can find permanent homes.  I've been fostering dogs for about 4 months and it has been very rewarding.  Just found a home for our second foster dog, and she's 6 years old.  There are people out there that want older dogs so that they don't have to go through the hassle of training and all of the other bad puppy behaviors.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 12:03:58 pm »
Sorry to hear of such a miserable situation. No one's fault. Only thing I can think is also, maybe someone that does Lab rescue or foster dog program online. I hope a good solution comes about.  Best Regards '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 12:05:22 pm »
soryy to heat about your daughters allergies and the dog situation

my oldest sone is alergic to just about everything too
we had cats while our sons were growing up,which he is very allergic too
we installed a new furnace with a top of the line air filtration system,with hepa filters u.v. lights etc
this helped immesly in the house for him,even with the 2 cats.it wasnt the cheapest method for helping his allergies
but he didnt want us to give up the family pets,and we needed a new furnace anyhow.but it did help

i aint much of a dog person,but if i lived cloer i would take him just to keep him from being put down
i hate that they have to do that.
i would definatly check into a "LAB RESCUE" in your area.most rescues pretty much work with one breed or so(atleast from my research)
but they do take mixes in the breed that they deal with.
once again sorry to hear,but things will work out i'm sure  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 12:16:52 pm »
Ugh.  Heartbreaking.  I get very attached to the dogs.  I truly feel for you all.
That's such a tough call.  We have a female shar-pei that wouldn't survive without us.  Way to attached.  I don't know what I would do.  I truly hope a decent alternative comes up for you all.
1’—>1’

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 02:18:20 pm »
We've called all of the adoption groups in our area, lab rescue won't take him because he can't pass their tests, the other groups have put him on a list but we haven't gotten a call back (we've called them all back every week) for the past 2 months. We have gone through the phone book, looked up about 10 places on the web, posted him on facebook and twitter and put him up on my wife's work billboard and my billboard. I can't think of anything else to do, but we are waiting one more week. Her allergist called yesterday asking if we had found homes for him yet, shes been helping look for a home for him because she knows it's a hard decision and she wants to help.

Sailordad we have bought a hepa filter for the living room and for her room and it's made a difference, but as soon as she gets around the dogs her allergies kick in. Since we keep them outside I think as soon as they come in or she goes out it doesn't help with the filters. We had hoped that the filters would minimize the problem to where it would be bearable for her, but so far it hasn't and we've given that the past month.  I wish we had more time but the woman who is taking the chocolate lab has been waiting for the 2 months; we don't want the kids to know they aren't going to be together and we especially don't want them to know if we have to do the worst.

Thanks for the kind words and sympathy it helps knowing that some of you have dealt with this and Pat I completely empathize with you. It's such a hard thing to imagine him in a shelter and alone, that's the only reason I've considered such a thing is at least he would have us there with him and I think that would be the kindest thing for him to see last.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:13:30 pm »
Very sorry to hear about your situation.  I really hope you can find a home for your dogs.

We got a labradoodle because of my wife's allergies, and it doesn't bother her at all.  I know that not all allergies are the same, though, and neither are dogs.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 09:50:27 pm »
sure have some beautiful dogs!  try hunting forums in your area, post in craigslist too.  i got my ridgeback for free of craigslist and he was trained an everything!  just dont start thinking negative, dogs can feel it
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 11:52:49 pm »
I know your daughter will grieve very deeply for having to lose part of her family. 

Tell her about me, about how the only thing I wanted as a kid was a dog, any dog, anytime or anyplace.  But 5 minutes with a dog and I was hospitalized.  I outgrew it, she may too some day.  Let her know that I am making it up to all the dogs I didn't get to have with the one I now have.  And I spend at least 6 hours a week at the dog park where I get to play with dozens of other dogs, too.  Give her something to look forward to. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 12:01:31 am »
JW I will, she actually wants to be a vet right now, but she's still young and if she's like me she won't ever decide what she wants to do when she grows up. The strange thing is two years ago her tests showed that she wasn't allergic to dogs, that's one reason we got the Chocolate Lab. Hopefully she will grow out of it again in a few years and it won't be such an issue.

The woman who was planning on taking Koa (choc lab) backed out, so now we're back at square one with both of them. We talked to Lab Rescue and they said they would definitely take him from only seeing a photo of him, which I thought was weird, because they made us do a bunch of stuff for Yoda and ended up not taking him. I called back and asked why they wouldn't take them both after my wife called me and said they would take Koa without even bringing him in. She couldn't give me a straight answer and she said he must have shown some sign of aggression. I'm going to put them on craigslist tonight and see what happens, maybe someone is looking for a good present for the coming holidays. Keep on praying, wishing and positive thinkering.

Cicero

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 12:12:23 am »
Michael, my heart goes out to ya bud, I had pure bred labs for years and have always loved dogs. They do become members of the family for sure and that is one hard scenario to walk through for sure. I do believe you are doing the right thing by trying to find them good homes. Keeping you and your family in the thoughts and prayers.

Lombard

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 01:11:27 pm »
No doubt about it, that is rough. We are dog people too. Our last dog was with us sixteen years, before she passed on. We waited a couple years, and now have a Yellow Lab, that we have really fallen for. You are in an unenviable position Michael, good luck to you, and God Bless.