Author Topic: The power of bent wood...  (Read 2044 times)

Offline sweeney3

The power of bent wood...
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:35:39 pm »
One would think that I, as an fledgling, aspiring bowyer, would have a constant awareness of the power of bent wood.  Particularly bent white oak, since I have a white oak Owl bow that really packs a punch.  One would also think that I would be aware of the potiential power of wood when it is bent by a tractor, since I've spent quite a lot of time pushing things around with one.  (Get any vibes about where this is going yet?)

However, one would be mistaken...

So today I was bushhogging in one of our fields, trying to open up a large enough space to work up a gigantic white oak tree that crashed in the ice storm a year or two ago.  It's been lying partially suspended and dead since.  As I was making my rounds, I came up next to the upper limbs of the tree.  Wanting to get all the grown up brush cut as close as possible to make the work easier, I figured that I would just position the front end loader bucket to push "all those little ole' limbs" out of the the way and the bushhog would chew up whatever was left as I drove over.

Well, this was okay, in theory.  As I pushed the limbs along, I glanced back to see how the hog was cutting.  I turned back just in time to notice that a three or four inch thick limb was bent very much like an English warbow.  I have yet to achieve that perfect tiller on any bow.  Now mind you, all this chain of thought occures in mere milliseconds, but it seems like slow motion.  I noticed that that limb was very bent, and very thick.  I also noticed that it was very close to slipping off the top of the buckett, and would then ride up the inclined plane that was the lift arms on the tractor.  I also realized that the only thing that would then prevent that limb from returning to its orrigional position was my head.  I grabbed the wheel with my left arm (saccrificial arm), kicked my left leg out to the side, pivoted on the seat, and laid over as far as I could to the right, getting my head clear just in time to see the limb whip over where my head had been at approximatly twice the speed of sound.  Needless to say, my arm took some pretty good punishment from the smaller limbs, but I couldn't really just let the wheel go and let the tractor run amok.

I am pretty sure that I am very fortunate.  I believe that had that limb punched me in the face with that kind of force, it would have very likey knocked my cold on a running tractor.  That's never where you want to be.  It might have flat out done me in.  At a minimum, it would have hurt something fierce.  If the timing had been off another Nth of a second, I'd a bought a good one.

Kinda funny the way it turned out, but you all be careful out there!!  Doesn't take much for things to suck sometimes.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: The power of bent wood...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 11:44:35 pm »
Man, glad you are OK.  Trees can pack a punch some times.  I also had a close call a couple of years ago.  I was cutting up an osage tree that I cut down in the back yard.  Now this is before I got into bowmaking, before that, I thought osage was only good for firewood.  Anyway, I am cutting limbs off and I cut off a 2" limb that is vertical behind another horizontal limb.  They kind of made a cross.  I didn't notice that the vertical limb was bent way back and was being held by the horizontal limb.  When I cut the horrizontal limb the stub of the other limb snapped toward me and hit me square in the safety glasses.  It hit with such force that it nocked me backwards onto the ground and the chainsaw went flying to the side.  Luckily, I only ended up with a big black eye from where the safety glasses were smashed into my face.  If I hadn't been wearing the glasses, there is no doubt that I would have lost my eye. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:58:26 am »
I caught a small branch across the nose the other day doing the same thing as you were. Man that hurt. Got some pretty good scratches across the bridge of nose from that. You are very lucky you saw it comming and was able to move. Be careful out there fella's sometimes them tree's reach out and grab ya when you least expect it!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 11:12:49 am »
Glad it turned out good for you,I have had similar things happen several time on the tractor and bushhog,I try and get to close to the wood line and catch a low hanging limb,I try and watch but have been smacked pretty hard a few times. People get killed every year doing that kind of stuff,you just think it won't be you. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 11:21:06 pm »
Man !...That sounds awful, glad you got to write about it. Always makes me laugh when I have a close call like that and don't end up a mangled mess. '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington