Author Topic: Hickory backed elm, take two  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Frode

Hickory backed elm, take two
« on: November 23, 2010, 12:55:16 pm »
Hi all,
Here's my second attempt at a laminated bow.  It's sort of the brother to the "Robin Hood" bow of a while back, in that the wood came from the same boards, and it's the same general design, though hopefully somewhat improved.

It's hickory backed elm, 73 1/2" tip to tip, 70" ntn, 1 3/8" at the fades tapering down to 3/4" at the nocks.  40-45# @ 24-26" (this is certainly the heaviest draw I've worked with to date, and although I occasionally have to make an animal noise, it is improving my form, forcing me to use more of the right muscles).

I glued in almost 3" of reflex, and after all was said and done, 1 1/2" remained.  After 300 or so arrows, it goes from dead flat unstrung to  nearly an inch and a quarter reflex at rest.  The grip is built up leather cut to shape and wrapped with more leather and trimmed with thin leather strips from an old straw hat band. Not the neatest, but it's comfortable.  Shoots fast and flat, and I'm happy, but I'm sure it could stand improvement.

Anyhoo, thanks for looking, and, as always, I am enlightened by your observations!

Frode

If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Frode

Re: Hickory backed elm, take two
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:59:29 pm »
And, full draw.  Also, it's double nocked for a stringer.  I'm too old to enter a dance marathon with a stick of wood.  :D

Frode

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 01:22:37 pm »
Looks pretty nice to me Frode!!!!  I love the amount of reflex it kept--looks like a great balance between stringability/stability  and cast.  Got it bookmarked for November Laminate BOM too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 01:52:59 pm »
  Beautiful bow, great tiller shape, Steve

Offline Frode

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 04:03:34 pm »
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words!
Frode

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 04:13:44 pm »
Hell's Bell's Frode.....only thing your missing is the "grey-goose shafts".....Nice looking long bow sir !!!!
rich

Offline Frode

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 04:16:21 pm »
Thanks Rich!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 04:39:45 pm »
 Thats looking great Frode,  Tiller looks spot on and real good profile.  ;)

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 05:05:35 pm »
Nice bow...tiller looks smooth.

Are the tips still 3/4" wide?  Seems very excessive for such a long bow...how is the handshock?

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 05:11:13 pm »
Good job.  Looks great.

Offline Frode

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 05:36:28 pm »
Thank you, gentlemen!

@azn, yes, just a skosh under 3/4".  I was shooting for the 1.6 cm dimension in The Bow Builders Book, chapter on middle ages long bows.  I got it to this point, and it was stable, so I left it.  The hand shock question is a good one, it's as low as any long or flat or pyramid bow I've made so far, which is to say that each one seems a little better than the one before it, but the only thing I have to compare it with are a couple of FG bows I've shot in the past, and they were both carpal tunnel jack hammers!  The short answer is, it seems quite good, but I'm sure it can be better.  Really narrow tips still have me a bit nervous, I'm working into it  :D.  As I think about it, my Mollegabets had the lowest hand shock of all.

Thanks,

Frode

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 08:53:34 pm »
Narrow tips used to scare me too...i was very nervous about them breaking.  But now I try to go down close to 1/4" as I can.

I'm sure you can narrow the last 6 inches or so down to 3/8" maybe even 1/4" and gain some speed.

PeteDavis

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 08:57:30 pm »

Sweet!

I tried that combination last summer, but went too wide and thinned the belly way too much.

With permission, I'll borrow your dimensions on my next try.

PD

Offline Frode

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:24:07 pm »
@azn, that sounds doable!  No worries making that kind of reduction on a bow that's already shot in?

@Pete, Thanks!  Borrow away, but truthfully, you'll have to ask a lot further back than me  ;D!  For what it's worth, though, the overall limb thickness, belly to back, is around 11/16-3/4" under the grip, tapering down to about 7/16" at the nocks.  The hickory backing is 1/8" thick.  Let me know how it goes!

Frode

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 10:36:38 pm »
I was nervous doing it and I only had less than 1/2" thickness but narrowing down from a little over half inch down to quarter inch affected the tiller none at all.  Just as long as not to narrow they bend.