Author Topic: longbow or recurve?  (Read 6128 times)

Offline archerforlife2

longbow or recurve?
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:30:58 am »
hey everybody i am new to the website and i was wondering what in your opinion is better re-curve or longbow?
i have been shooting a compound instinctively for the last three years and recently decided i didnt like the feel of the bow i have always wanted to go traditional. thanks everybody for opinions
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: longbow or recurve?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:41:31 am »
I like both and go through phases with each. My hunting bow this year is a 60" osage static recurve but my next bow will be a straight limb bow. I like them all!
  Your best bet is to try as many different bows as possible and see what fits you best. Also, expect them all to be SLOW compared with your compound.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:55:51 am »
okay thanks i am thinking about getting a Greatree Solo Deluxe longbow 68" 55# if i do get it it will probably be about march and how much slower would a 55lbs longbow be slower than a 50lbs compound?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 01:10:48 am »
A 55# long bow will probably shoot between 150fps to 180fps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:36 am »
im like Pat
i like both
right now i shoot a flat limb bow
the one i am currently making is flat limb with 1.5"reflex at the handle
the next is gonna be a static recurve

a trad style bow is gonna be much slower compared to the modern high tech training wheel bows
they got them contraptions shooting over 400' per second now
but there aint nothing wrong with shooting critters with bows that shoot 150' per second,dead is dead  ;)

oh ya,welcome to PA
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:48:55 am »
wow  :o i had no idea my bow was shooting that fast. and thanks everybody for your view on the subject also saw a non typical black-tail last saturday ;) never got close enough for a shot  :(

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 02:02:52 am »
It's probably not ;),only the most top of the line wheelies are hitting 400 but most are definitely 300FPS or better.  But stickbows have killed more game than wheelie bows probably ever will! ;D  Welcome to PA

I only bring that up because I don't want you thinking you're gonna lose 250FPS...Unless of course you are shooitng the Omen...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:10:36 am by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 02:24:28 am »
  ;) haha no i don't like compounds its just all i have had available to shoot i have always wanted a long bow even if i am loosing roughly 200fps that don't matter to me.  :)

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 10:23:52 am »
nuthin wrong with compounds,as long as it flings an arrow and gets you in the woods.I like bows period!All bows!you jus get so much more satisfaction and gratification takin game with something made of your own hand.And you have to get up close and personal with em! ;)

Nate why did you have to mention the Omen.I had to let mine go due to my neck surgery! :'(That is an insane bow!!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 10:32:40 am »
I have to admit, I prefer LBs. I only own 2 recurves, and hardly shoot them at all anymore.

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 11:06:58 am »
yeah but i outgrew my compound by about a inch and a half and its messing with my shooting big but i am better with my bow than my .22 weird i know and i think im gonna get a longbow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 11:17:17 am »
I find a longbow to be more foregiving than a recurve. The extra length and a bit less speed(or zip) make them more accurate for me. I own a glass longbow and recurve but rarely shoot either. When I do it is my Treadway longbow that get's the action.
  I guess in my heart I prefer a longbow and when made with wood, they are the best!  8)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 12:12:43 am »
Longbow vs recurve?

I'll take the wooden one!    >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

twcbow

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 11:27:04 am »
Just keep in mind reguardless of which style you go with a longer bow will be more forgiving than a shorter bow. I have both shoot my flatbows much better than I do my recurves and the shooting style changing from a compound to a recurve is very different too.

Stringman

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 01:23:00 pm »
Another thing to remember if you're gettin into the close game is that long bows are quieter than short coupled recurves. However I'm with the others, if you make it you will like it... til you make another one. Then you will like the new one... till you make another one. Then you will, well you get the point. If you buy a bow you will ususally find flaws with it, but if you make it with your own hands, you will tend to be a lot more forgiving of her imperfections.

Enjoy the ride!