Author Topic: first squirrels hit!!  (Read 7741 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Re: first squirrels hit!!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 02:48:27 pm »
no prob. this sites real good. ive learned a lot from all of these guys.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 01:40:14 pm »
the ace hex head is awesome on squirrels.  so is the g5 small game head, but it would have to screwed into an insert in the cane.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline aero86

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 01:25:05 pm »
are field points ok for small game?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Postman

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 08:11:58 pm »
I think field points are ok, but they tend to bury when you miss or sink into a tree, so any shot upwards is a gamble. The nutter is cheap, easy to install on a freshly broken tip, and buries a bit less on ground shots. 
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline aero86

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 12:34:05 am »
what is a nutter?  pic?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

ramsay12344

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 10:18:18 pm »
"I hit 2 this year with tarantula heads (in how to's, posted by Manny) one hit in neck died instanly, and I was impressed by the damage.  One hit in abdomed spun like a helicopter and ran off. Rabbit hit by tarantula died floppin' like a madman. Gonna get me a bunch of secondhand Bear greenies  Evil for treerats next year."

Got a link or maybe some pics of these tarantula heads? I just went through all 13 pages of the how-to section and there is no thread started by a "Manny"; as well there are no threads with the word "tarantula" in the title.

Searching the entire site for the word "tarantula" brings up zero results, which is lame since I see the word tarantula in your post so I know there is at least one thread with that word in it.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 11:06:42 pm »
Here's a deadly little point I make and hunt small game with.It has the best of both worlds.The point sticks,and the shoulders crush. ;) God Bless

[attachment deleted by admin]
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 12:03:48 am »
 Ramsay, go to arrows , there is a section stickey' to the top on small game points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 10:24:41 pm »
I use old arrows bought at flea markets or i use whatever arrow i can find for squirrels. i dont use field points for squirrels. just old broadheads.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 11:05:12 am »
How 'bout zwikkey judos?

I haven't tried them yet. Just curious.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 11:36:11 pm »
hit two with judo today, one penetrated and killed, the other hit square bounced off and didn't .    if they penetrate those springs grab guts and they never get away.  they dont work all that great tho overall.  they are meant for stumps.   

what i have taken to doing is making cuts int the back of a glue on field point, and flaring them out with pliers,  once it goes in it doesn;t come out till you pull it out. and sometimes it will bounce off tree and not stick,  main issue i have with using broad heads,
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 02:47:54 pm »
Last week i had the same thing happen to me out of my deer stand except I was shooting a field point. Looked like I smoked the little bugger but he up and ran up a tree! had four inches of blood on my arrow. My theory is that they are light enough  that sometimes they kinda carry with the arrow preventing good penatration or blunt force trauma. Hope that makes sense

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 11:23:03 am »
i have gotten three squirrels with my bow 2 with judo points and one with a field point they just died even with the judos different squirrels maybe?
Everbody dies but not everybody lives