Author Topic: Mercy Killing  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Stoker

Re: Mercy Killing
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 12:43:06 pm »
Good for you.I came across a big mulie 2weeks ago.Some moron shot this buck in the spine and it was laying in some buck brush.
When I got there in the morning I seen this deer and it couldn't get up So I watched for a while and saw where it had been hit.
I shot it and tagged it brought him home.The poor guy was half froze-26C plus a wind it must of been a long night.Two bullet holes through the spine.Some idiot must of ground scored him.Lost a bit of meat but never forget the look on his face.One tough critter
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Lombard

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 02:15:21 pm »
Amazing that he survived at all, Looks like providence brought you two together for mutual benefit.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 02:55:11 pm »
Yeah...that compound fracture sure was nasty looking....but that right shoulder was the worst...only thing holding that leg together was muscle...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 08:28:48 pm »
 It's suprising how tough deer are. I borrowed a gun I wasn't used to quite a few years ago and shot a doe with it in Georgia. I made a very bad shot and blew the front leg off at the elbow. I didn't know it at the time and blood trailed that deer for 2 miles. It wasn't hard with all the blood. The leg must have been held on with skin.

I had to quit trailing it as I was two miles into another high dollar trophy only lease. I was trailing and sneaking (trespassing) at the same time. I hated leaving that deer like that. The next year a guy was hunting out of the same stand and said that doe came in. Except now the leg had fallin off at the elbow and was completely healed.

You did good, Mike. That old boy needed to be put out of it's misery. Good luck on the big one next year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 02:14:39 am »
Thanks Eddie...I still have Hope for the Big One....My Son that lives in Houston is coming Home for Christmas....and He wants to go hunting...so just maybe...He can get him a Monster Mulie himself!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 12:27:13 pm »
Good job Mike, the right thing to do.

I've never had that situation with a deer but i did have to shoot a cripple goose when i was in high school. It was a wierd feeling cause i was pheasant hunting and didn't even have a waterfowl license, so it was illegal, but i still knew it was the right thing to do. Poor thing couldn't fly and could barley swim, but had lived long enough to basically rot from the inside out, it was nasty.

Was it 13 degrees in Texas! yikes.
45# at 27"

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 01:28:26 pm »
Yep...it gets down right cold here at times...have had it down as low as 27 below one Winter...but tday the Low was only 37...and its up to 58 now...so you just can't ever tell here!
2024...We Will Overcome