Author Topic: Sinew backing after shoot in?  (Read 6786 times)

whitesquirrel

Sinew backing after shoot in?
« on: May 03, 2007, 01:40:24 pm »
I just finished a bow for my son and it had about 1 3/4" string follow, too much I thought.
So I wanted to straighten it ( I'm not sure how, I guess put it in a form or steam bend it straight)
then put a sinew backig on it.

Has any one tried this, and know if this works.

Thanks    White Squirrel

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Sinew backing after shoot in?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:53:55 pm »
Thats not really bad string follow, but yes you can sinew the bow.  How long is it?  You might be able to tie it down on a board and sinew it, the sinew will pull it in reflex from there.  Heat-bending is an option, just don't get too aggressive.  Once a bow is bent in one direction some, it doesn't like going the other way.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

whitesquirrel

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 06:36:51 pm »
It is 66" ntn. 
What about brace height right now it is 7 3/4"  the first string I made for it gave it a 5" brace height.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 09:03:30 pm »
Seems a bit long for sinew. The extra mass takes away cast. I'd say let him enjoy it as is. 1 3/4 in of set is darn good. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

whitesquirrel

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 08:35:51 pm »
Thanks for the info and support,

White Squirrel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 12:58:20 am »
Hey Whitesquirrel, You live right down the road! ;) Not too many places around with white squirrels. ;D
   Usually once you develop set the damage is done in most cases. There are a few things you could try but It will be more satisfying to build another. Anything around  2" of set is about average. Enjoy your bow but start another.   Pat

ps. Are you going to the State Championships near Hickory next weekend?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

a finnish native

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 08:44:14 am »
I would not waste sinew on a bow that has set already. enjoy your bow as it is, or if the set is too much to deal with then add reflex with dry heat. that's what I would do.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 10:57:16 am »
I would leave it, it's doing pretty good. I've got a red oak board bow that has about 2" - 2 &1/4" of set, a bit much for me but it shoots actually pretty well for the weight of the bow. All of my earier bows all had about 3" of set. You're fine. ;)
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

oak

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 10:16:58 pm »
This subject kinda made me wonder if it would be better to sinew back a bow after it was shot in.  I wonder cause shooting in the bow is like stress relieving it so would it be more reliable to back a bow that has had the extra stresses shot out of it or to back a bow thatwas brand new and only tillered to shooting draw?

I don't know much I am just trying to learn but that is the thought that came to my mind

Blake

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 01:08:23 am »
Blake, By backing the bow early in the process you can prevent(or relieve) belly stress and that is usually where we have problems.  When you add a backing to an already stressed bow you aren't getting the full potential out of it. Most of it was used up by the set.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC