Author Topic: ABC contest  (Read 9764 times)

Timo

ABC contest
« on: May 03, 2007, 11:04:44 pm »
Just curious if anyone  here was planning on entering a bow or two this year?

Offline Jbell

Re: ABC contest
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 11:20:45 pm »
No way! Can't compete with you Timo.LOL. I made a shorty last year but I was'nt happy with It and this year I started on my project too late, maybe next year ???. I have'nt heard much chatter on this board about It, I was kind of wondering the same thing. How about yourself Timo?
Justin Blunt

Offline bowmo

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:36:04 am »
I'm with Jbell...with guys like you making entries I don't see the point of subjecting any of my wood to the tourtures of a 58" bow ;)...

dan

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 03:36:14 pm »
Don't see the point
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Timo

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 07:11:26 pm »
Sorry if I offended anyone with my question. So PTB please remove topic.

Ya'll take care.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 07:17:38 pm »
I think that would be fun, but maybe next year.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 10:53:28 am »
I don't see any problems with this thread. Why should it be removed?

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 11:00:05 am »
No, me either.      and....... wasn't it you who won last year?
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

huntersim

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 12:56:57 pm »
Tim,

I've been trying. The best one I've made came in right at 60 lbs so i decided to try again. I wanted to use osage, but I used the last good osage I had on this one. The one I just started is gonna have to be bulletwood. Heres a photo of my last try. Let me know what you think.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 03:23:06 pm »
I started one today, going to finish it at 65# leave it braced for a couple of days then shoot a couple more hundred arrow through it, mostly via the tiller tree. Hopefully it will settle in at around 60# with about 1" set. Steve

Timo

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 09:27:31 pm »
Marc, Your first post didn't set well with me. I guess I took it the wrong way when you said," Dont see the point". I took it as there was just no need to try to further ones knowledge of the craft, and that this discussion would be worthless.

Sorry if I read into something I shouldn't have.

Lots to learn in bending wood. Stretching wood limits is in my mind paramont to the craft.Building these shorter than normal bows exercises ones skills to the point that any bow over 60" seems to become (For lack of a better word) easier.

I tip my hat to those who are giving it a go.

Huntersim,Your bow looks nice to me.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 09:31:07 pm »
Timo
For me there is no point since I'm not in your country :). Sorry if you mistook my meaning

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 02:21:14 am »
Timo, the guys were paying you a big compliment, smile and enjoy it!!

I think the guys who think they can't compete should give it a go, anyone could win this thing.

Maybe the criteria would be a good topic for discussion. I will give my two cents worth. ( not in the right order)
1. The bow has to be at least 60# at the end of all testing and being strung for a hours on end.
Just be careful not to underbuild the bow, build it a few pounds over and break it in really thouroughly before shipping, make sure it has stablized.

2. The bow has to be easy to brace while laying down or in a blind, short bows are almost always easy to brace if they don't have reflex. Just build a bow with the tips either even or maybe 1 or 1 1/2" string follow.

3. The bow has to have a smooth draw out to 28", keep the outside 1/3 of the limb stiff and let the bow do more of it's bending near the handle and out to midlimb. keep it wide enough not to take set. Flip the tips up just a tad, no more than 1" starting about 6" or 8" back from the tip

4. Bow must shoot heavy and lighter arrows at about the same place at 20 yards, just get your bow performing well and it will do this, They dont have to shoot at the same speed to hit close to the same place if they are traveling at a good speed to start with. Make the outside 1/3 of the limbs toward the tips narrower and thicker but still stiff.

5. The bow will be braced for hours on end and must shoot the same in the moring as it does in the afternoon. Same answer as number one, make sure the inner limb is wide enough.

6. all the other criteria, quiet, no shock, ballance, will just happen by itself with good tillering.

Other thoughts or opinions??  Steve

Offline Jbell

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 02:04:20 pm »
I personaly think rule #2 is the only one I have a problem with, It contradicts rule #1. If you build a great bow that does'nt lose that much weight being strung all day why would you brace in your stand, blind, or lying on the ground? Mine get braced at the truck before I go out and unbrced when I come back in. Also rule #2 pretty much omits any sort of composite with quite a bit of reflex.

I have built short bows with deflex and flipped tips but they do not feel all that smooth because of that lack of early string weight, but I guess with the flipped tips they should'nt stack, they just feel funny in the early draw stage.

So basically the bow that I have in mind which is an Egyptian or Assyrian type compsite would do great in every aspect except the ease of bracing. I guess if ya toned down the reflex It would'nt be so hard to brace. Anyone have any thoughts on this type of reflex deflex type of bow as a contender in this contest?

Just my 2 cents, Justin.
Justin Blunt

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 09:07:37 pm »
Justin, I think it's a great idea. But I'm biased ,I like those those little Egyptian bows.

Duncan shot his little bow at the Tennessee Classic Saturday ,he had a ball.

Ralph