Author Topic: I need tips on splitting staves  (Read 4390 times)

Offline Wasatchhawk

I need tips on splitting staves
« on: May 04, 2007, 12:15:09 am »
I cut down the mulberry.  It was a 14 inch diameter tree but the sapwood rings were huge! 

The grain in the bark appeared straight and the grain in the wood looks straight but after splitting it perfectly on one half I attempted to split it into quarters and it started splitting down the middle but then ran off the side about 3/4 down the length.

Is it possible that the way I drove the blade and wedge in that I controled the direction of the split?

Randy
A Family that Preys together stays together!

Eric

Re: I need tips on splitting staves
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 01:38:39 am »
The grain dictates where the split will go, but it is possible to start at either end and split towards the middle.  Then
you'll be left with a little "bridge" of wood due to the likely deviations of the two splits.  This can be severed with an axe or a heavy machete if the split is narrow and deep.  I have tried this technique with success on a 20inch oak log,
albiet I have no experience with mulberry.

Offline bowmo

Re: I need tips on splitting staves
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:40:52 am »
Sometimes it just happens. I have had the same trouble with mulberry myself a couple times. With some wood it best to kerf the log end to end with a saw where you want it to split before you drive your wedges in. This wont follow the grain perfectly, but if you leave the stave wider then you need you can find the true grain once you get the bark off and lay out the bow.

dan