Author Topic: U finish bows  (Read 16305 times)

Offline sharpend60

U finish bows
« on: December 08, 2010, 10:47:41 pm »
I was thinking of picking up a 'U finish' bow some time soonish.

Is there a source you guy could recommend?

I'm still quite new to bow building and would honestly just like a shooter while I am learning to craft my own.
I don't have much space and no power tools, it's gonna be a while until I feel like I can produce a solid shooter.

Help me break the fiberglass habit!

Offline sailordad

Re: U finish bows
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:15:48 pm »
theres 3RIVERS ARCHERY,also RUDDER BOWS ARCHERY
both sponsors here on PA
i personaly  have used items from RUDDERS BOWS and have always been treated right and liked what i got
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline 1776J

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 12:11:46 am »
I highly recommend Pine Hollow....

I've inquired into their "kits" and Mike Yancey is great.

I've had a friend looking into them as well and all I can gather here is nothing but really positive feedback and info from the fellows here about Pine Hollow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:14:35 am »
Try David Knight  primalneedarchery  David is also a sponsor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 01:31:30 pm »
David's a super guy and he'll treat you right every time.

http://www.primalneedarchery.com/
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline wodpow

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 01:36:22 pm »
Some of the floor tillered stave I have finished for myself and others were nice some were crap.my wife bought me two floor tillered bows with our income tax return and stashed them till Christmas time the one was bad and I called them to send it back and they told me it's been over six months since you bought them we can' t do it.  If they would of tried to finished this bow they would of trashed it, one limb had good grain the other had crotch wood with growth rings that ran like this /////////////////mid limb and would tiller then I would shoot it for awhile and it would turn and follow the direction of the growth ring angle I couldn't keep my draw weight and make it quit pulling to the one side  so I chopped it down made a kids bow  and gave it away.  I couldn't get those bible thumpers  to understand that the staves were put away for those 8 months, and all they said was how were the stored and I said that was nothing to do with the wood you used and they wouldn't budge and let me send it back. The hundred or  so dollar I had spent was  enough to  upset me but not enough to  make me get into it with them. THIS IS JUST A LITTLE HEADS UP THAT'S ALL   IT HAPPENED TO ME.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 02:29:12 pm »
  David and Cora, very good blanks and easy to finish.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 02:55:15 pm »
G.I. Bow is another good place to check out.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 03:19:11 pm »
mike yancy at pine hollow  ,jim at rudder bows  are real good places to look id recomend u check out rattle stick bow s gary davis  also a super guy  brock

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 05:44:46 pm »
Some of the floor tillered stave I have finished for myself and others were nice some were crap.my wife bought me two floor tillered bows with our income tax return and stashed them till Christmas time the one was bad and I called them to send it back and they told me it's been over six months since you bought them we can' t do it.  If they would of tried to finished this bow they would of trashed it, one limb had good grain the other had crotch wood with growth rings that ran like this /////////////////mid limb and would tiller then I would shoot it for awhile and it would turn and follow the direction of the growth ring angle I couldn't keep my draw weight and make it quit pulling to the one side  so I chopped it down made a kids bow  and gave it away.  I couldn't get those bible thumpers  to understand that the staves were put away for those 8 months, and all they said was how were the stored and I said that was nothing to do with the wood you used and they wouldn't budge and let me send it back. The hundred or  so dollar I had spent was  enough to  upset me but not enough to  make me get into it with them. THIS IS JUST A LITTLE HEADS UP THAT'S ALL   IT HAPPENED TO ME.

I've had similar very disappointing results from Rudderbows, and will stay away. A heads up for others, also.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 05:54:26 pm »
This would be good ttime for Jim to come on here and explain why he isn't making right what people are complaining about.
 Jim? Let's hear it.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 05:58:21 pm »

I've had similar very disappointing results from Rudderbows, and will stay away. A heads up for others, also.
This would be good ttime for Jim to come on here and explain why he isn't making right what people are complaining about.
 Jim? Let's hear it.

i see no mention of rudder bows in his post
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 06:35:16 pm »
He is talking about Rudder Bows. Jesus on a cross is part of his logo.

I got ripped off by him as well. I ordered a bunch of tonkin cane shafting a couple of years ago. He claimed there was enough heavy shafting material for a number of heavy arrows, but I got maybe 2 or 3 cane shafts suitable for 50 lb. arrows out of two or three batches I had ordered. The rest were like toothpicks.

I won't deal with him either. Fool me once...not again.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 07:17:13 pm »
I see a trend developing....
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 07:54:27 pm »
Maybe no direct mention but I can do the math.