Author Topic: handle material  (Read 7964 times)

Offline billmac

handle material
« on: May 04, 2007, 02:06:13 pm »
Does anyone use something other than leather for bow handles?  I don't have any right now and can't afford any.  Ideas?  Suggestions?

Thanks

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: handle material
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 02:24:36 pm »
you can use cordage ,such as hemp or jute string. just wrap it tightly around the handle and tie it off like serving.

Ralph

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 03:33:28 pm »
yup-as Ralph said or if u have it can use HMMM-coconut husk,bromeliad, milkweed,all kinds of vines, inner bark from trees,palm leaves. Nice thing is learn how to make cordage to do it ! ;D..bob

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:16:49 pm »
I just used string on a two short bows, I really like the way it feels.
VB

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 08:26:41 pm »
you can also wool or other fabric ,you can use one piece just like leather or you can cut it into a narrow strip and wrap it like cordage.Or you can braid or use a weave with a strip of cloth.Be creative ,look at my thread My brother braided a piece of wire into a handle.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2260.0.html

Ralph
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 10:43:27 pm by welch2 »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 07:21:46 am »
billmac a good source of cheap leather and other stuff is St. Vincent de Paul stores, Goodwill stores,
rummage sales or any type of place that sells clothes for cheap. I bought leather coats for $5 at
St Vincents. Look for coats, boots purses etc. Also look for silk and linen for backings.

I just bought a roll of hemp cord at wally world for $5 it will make lots of handles. I wrap the handle
then use thinned down elmers(white) glue to soak it when it dries the cord is locked down, then I give
it a couple coats of spar varnish.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 11:47:27 am »
Pat makes some really nice handle wraps from rattan cane.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 01:48:25 pm »
Rattan caning works very well. I have also used cotton cordage and hemp cordage and like the results from all. I usually set any cordage handles with Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone). As long as you seal real well wood glues work fine too but is they are not well sealed they get tacky with sweat from your hands.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dale

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 06:22:08 pm »
Get a piece of wool or another type of heavy cloth.  Cut a section about 1 to 1 1/2" wide by 24 to 30" long (approximate).  Start at the top of the handle section and spiral wrap the material down the handle.  When you have about 6 inches left in the handle wrap material tuck it into the material already wrapped down the handle.  The nice thing about using cloth for a handle wrap, besides the price, is that you can get different colors.  A red wool spiral wrapped handle looks pretty cool.

Offline jkekoni

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 07:02:29 pm »
Handle wrapping is not needed, if you do not need it to keep glued handle together.
(If you however do, then it needs to be rawhide or linen or similar. Leather is just
for comfort and decoration.)

If you do not want to it be primitive you can use anything that is used for sport equipments.

Cork is one substanse that makes the handle softer, but you need to wrap something over it
to keep it durable.

Dale

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 11:26:06 pm »
Hey billmac, If you are still unable to get any handle wrap material I can send you some elkhide for a spiral type wrap. 

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 11:26:49 pm »

$1.65 / 300 ft spool of natural jute.
 like a charm.

jamie