Author Topic: 2 peice bow build first try  (Read 10666 times)

Offline broketooth

2 peice bow build first try
« on: December 12, 2010, 09:04:51 am »
i started this bow back in july. chased a good ring, along with all the other rudementary stuff.i had a bow sleeve for yrs and have always wanted a 2 peice long bow so i got bold and cut my stave in half and fitted it back together i used 2 part epoxy to fit the inner brass sleeves to both halves of the bow this is how it fits together

Offline broketooth

Re: 2 peice bow build first try
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:08:05 am »
this is what it looks like back together in the steel sleeve here area couple of floor tiller pics

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:24:55 am »
looks like its coming along great. I need to try one
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline broketooth

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 09:36:42 am »
this is a pic if where im at on 1 fade of the limb that hope will be the top limbthis is a pic of the total limb

Offline broketooth

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:40:28 am »
these are pics of the fade and total limb on the character side

Offline broketooth

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:46:23 am »
this is where im at after a couple of heat treatmentslookin at the side profile of the fades and total limbs character limb is first

Offline broketooth

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 09:47:56 am »
now for the other limb.

Offline broketooth

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:58:56 am »
its at this point that ive been apprehensive to continue. as i said before, this was a one peice stave , i got bold and cut it . i fit the small 2' brass sleeves to both halves of the stave. im guessing , through the tillering process, we will eventually figure out which limb will be the top limb. if im correct the top limb is always the weaker of the 2. at that point i will fit that limb into the steel sleeve with some 2 part epoxy and let it cure for 24 hrs. after that what i plan to do is  make a mark 1" down from the top of the steel sleeve, centerd in the handle . drill a hole and install a brass pin to ensure that it doesnt come apart. this also insures that the steel sleeve stays weather proof. hense the bottom limb is shorter when pulled apart

Offline broketooth

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 10:07:15 am »
i talked with pat b on the phone a couple of nights ago. i explained my apprehensions. he walked me through the next few steps via the phone. he also asked me if this bow as seen the tiller tree yet, i told him no, but asked him to give me a day or so and i would come up with something. so i dedicated a spot in my garage and came up with this this is a pic of the stave at rest character limb is to the right

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 10:16:03 am »
looks real good so far
i like it,ya want my addres now or wait until your finished  ;D ;)

seriously,that looks like it will make a very nice bow
a takedown is on my list for next summer
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:26:49 am by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline broketooth

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 10:22:41 am »
 :D lol thats funny sailordad, you know its not finished until its finished. im still green at this, ive heard of bows blowing apart during the tiller process. with no ryme or reason at that. thats my biggest fear right now , so im going slow but i am picking up steam.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 10:26:09 am »
broketooth, just take your time,take pics,post them pics and ask questions
if you got Pat coaching you,you shouldnt have a problem getting that thing to be a shooter
good luck

them bows that blow for no reason,well theres usually a reason they blow
and its usually our fault(hurrying and pushing the wood to far to fast),sometimes the woods fault(a defect you dont see)
but theres always a reason,we just dont like to admit why most times  ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:29:40 am by sailordad »

Offline broketooth

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 10:30:17 am »
apparently from the pics, mr pat wasnt too keen on my tiller boots with the long string. he explaind that with the extra long string ,it pulls the limb tips down instead of down and in towards the center, creating an elipse. so per his instructions, i should lose the tiller boots and shorten my long string. he told me to file temp. shallow nock grooves, just deep enough so the string doesnt slip. i also used slip knots on each end of the string per mr pats instructions

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 10:34:43 am »
ya i seen them pockets on that overly long string too
i wasnt gonna say anything,just cause i done use a long string during tillering
i floor tiller untill i can get a brace height of 1",then i use strings for tillering
but i never use "a long string" for tillering anymore,just my way of doing it

actually i broke my long tiller string about 2 yrs back and just said the hell with it  ;D

Offline broketooth

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 10:43:39 am »
mr pat told me about fasset tiller. i was instructed to make marks on both sides of each limb about 1/8" down from the bellyand to make sure that this mark stays parallel with the back of the bow. i also marked the center of the belly. i went through some wood removal and started to show some better limb movementt101/broketooth/2peicebowbuildfirsttry022.jpg[/IMG] character limb. this is the other limb