Author Topic: 2 peice bow build first try  (Read 10667 times)

Offline broketooth

Re: 2 peice bow build first try
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 10:46:40 am »
well thats where im currently at. im going to have some more scraping sessions todayand exercise the limbs on the tiller tree. all comments positive and negative are welcome. ruddy

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 11:20:25 am »
It looks to me like you're well on your way to making a very fine bow. Continue patiently, and you'll be fine. You've got some excellent help... I think Pat could walk a blind man through a tillering session.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 11:47:42 am »
good work so far.

Looks like both limbs are starting to hinge right at the fades though

Offline broketooth

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 08:54:31 pm »
this bow has a natural deflex it was pretty bad when i started.it took a couple of heat gun sessions to get the limbs to the profile they are now. pat b also told me to stay away from the fades for now and just get the limbs bending together. i worked on the limbs some more today. exercising the limbs for 100 reps inbetween each scraping session this is where im at

Offline broketooth

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 08:59:53 pm »
i also got pretty bold today and made an attempt to get it on the short stringthe nocks needed a better tracking groove so i was told to try thisi traced the sides of the string where they touched the belly and filed ing better string grooves. and this is how the string tracks down the bow

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 11:31:35 pm »
   LOOKS GOOD    I've built 2 with sleeves but I just never seemed right to me cutting a good stave into.I did my first the way your doing.The second I built a bow to tiller.I left the hand little big then cut it to fit.Both ways worked good.But this way worked out great for me.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 06:17:37 am »
Looking good,I have built a few of them,I always used broken bows and put the good limbs
together.Never cut one into but have thought about it.I like the weight the handle gives them. :)
Nice job on fitting the handle. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline broketooth

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 07:32:19 am »
i appreciate all the advice and support ive been getting. at this point i feel like im heading into dark unknown territory with a weak flashlight :o

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 08:52:53 am »
   Your doing good.Some of us did'nt have a like.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline broketooth

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 03:05:28 pm »
ive been out chasin critters the past few days but have had some to work on this project. i  noticed a trend of a lot of fellas using sandpaper through the tiller process, so ive stopped using any steel tools and resorted to sand paper. it has slowed me down a little but im making progress. im seeing what someone has told me about deflex taking on set. i also see what pat b is saying about waiting before final tiller to heat in some reflex. im still using a long string on the tiller tree for now . im reall nervous about the short string on the tree for now. here is where im at. at rest and flexed let me know what ya think

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 04:01:36 pm »
Once you have a bow tillered to brace you should only use the short string to tiller as the long string will give you improper readings of how the limbs are bending. That being said it looks as if your mid to outer limbs are very stiff yet. Might want to use a scraper until you get it closer to final tiller sand paper is good but it will take forever.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 04:27:16 pm »
I agree with Ryan on everything!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline broketooth

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 05:48:16 pm »
as advised i went back to the short string. i am seeing that im starting to get close to what is considered a bow. i talked with pat b on the phone this a.m. , he dispelled a few mysteries for me, about the use of steel tools and some of the situations i was  experiencing. such as a washboard effect, when  using a scraping tool perpendicular to the belly of said bow.how to alternate scrapes just to remove the the high spots. this morning after talking with mr pat , i had to make a modifaction to the tree , so i could place the bow on the tree while braced. after a 4 sessions of scraping  and exercising the limbs for 100 reps between sessions  this is where im at. this is a pic of 4 1/2" braced this is a pic at 15" of drawi have absolutely no idea what the draw weight is @ 15" i do realize i need to start paying close attention to a target draw weight and length . i also realize that the right limb, character limb is always on the right needs more work, about mid limb . am i right on these ? ruddy

Offline broketooth

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 09:07:08 am »
ive done quite a bit of work to the bow since my las post as a matter of fact its actually done except for shooting it in and applying a finish here are some picsheating the limbs on the caul

Offline broketooth

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 09:15:11 am »
the heating of the second limbom/albums/tt101/broketooth/2peicebowbuildfirsttry055.jpg[/IMG]mr pat told me not to bend the limbs for a few days and let the wood rehydrate. so while waiting i  worked on shaping the tips and doing some finish sanding