Author Topic: Bowyers Bible Arrow Impact Explanation - Is it wrong?  (Read 11284 times)

Offline Holten101

Re: Bowyers Bible Arrow Impact Explanation - Is it wrong?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 03:03:56 am »
I know the drawing is incorrect...but somehow that is exactly what happens when I shoot...under spined goes left (the weaker the spine...the further left it goes), but I cant for the life of me get any kind of spine to go right.....even excessivly high spines (light carbon arrows for my compound) goes were they are suppose to! This happens on my selfbows, my glass longbow and my glass recurve (the latter is centershot), and the tendency is so pronounce that im simply get the higehst spine arrows I can get hold of:-(

Something is wrong (having a compound is wrong...but that is not what I mean;-).....but I cant be the only one who experience this?

Ps: Im a right handed shooter (hold my bow in the left hand, and arrow rest on/above knuckles).

Cheers

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »
Close to center shot? Even if the bow isn't cut, the string doesn't always track down the middle.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

stingercub2

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 11:40:43 am »
holten101,
I shoot a Hoyt Dorado and my arrows did the same thing. I had to play with the thickness of my strike plate due to the fact the sight window on my dorado is cut so far past center. I think I have gotten it right now but stiffer arrows still shoot better and weak arrows go left.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 02:49:02 pm »
Holten101, is the string touching your arm/guard/clothing when you shoot? Art

Offline Holten101

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 10:01:34 am »
No...I have no string contact what so ever...and this the "weak spine left" happens with every type of bow I use (havent tested the compound though). I tried shortening a shaft in 1" increments...and each time I cut an inch...it moved alittle more right:-(

My mind tells me this is wrong...but im ending up with a pretty well tuned set when I disregard "reality" and follow the wrong explanation given in TBB (oh yeah...I have seen it pictured like in TBB other places...but it could be hasty copies).

If I had some youtube skills I would make a movie showing my "dilemma".

Cheers

Offline artcher1

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 10:51:13 am »
Sure would help to know the stats on your bows and arrows. Your problem could be that you're switching between center shot/close to center and around handle bows. Pick one type and stay with for awhile and see if that helps..........Art

Offline Holten101

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 11:09:45 am »
My main set up is a 55#@28" longbow, not quite centershot (its a glass bow...yeah I know, but I have some weighty reasons;-). Arrows are Grizzly Stiks, "Alaskan" 145 grs points and 75 grs inserts. I pull to 29" and arrows are about 31"....when I try the weaker spined "Sitka" version of the same arrow (same points)....they....suprise, go left:-(

It the same with every bow I try....and I would be inclined to blame form and/or release...if it wasnt for the fact that my bare shafts do the same trick when I tune.

Cheers

Offline artcher1

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 12:51:41 pm »
I don't know what spine your Grizzly Stiks are but I can count an additional 30-35# spine needed for the extra up front weight. Your arrows should have a static spine of around 85-90# IMO. As I mentioned earlier, grossly underspined arrows can also impact left.............Art

Offline artcher1

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2010, 12:53:23 pm »
Forgot, are those GS tapered? Art

Offline Holten101

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2010, 01:37:34 pm »
The Alaskan are definatly NOT under spined at my set-up (from Alaska Bowhunting):
"With a static spine designed for 50#-80# + bows, the Alaskan shaft makes up a finished arrow weighting between 550 and 650+ grains including a 125 to 250+ grain head. This makes it just right for most moderate draw weight bows and virtually any game animal from whitetails to kudu. "

Even if they were it would not explain why I experience this phenomenon with other set-ups too....im hate not understanding why, but I guess I should be satisfied that my arrows fly true....even with broadheads:-)

Cheers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2010, 01:48:45 pm »
Are these arrows tapered or parallel shafts? Makes a big difference.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Holten101

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 02:00:27 pm »
Oh...sorry:-)

They are tapered!...but I get the same with woodies....Im sure its me who is wrong, darned if I knew how?

When I try the light carbon arrows for my compound (should be vastly over spined for my longbow)....they hit right were I want them...I cant seem to make any type of spine go to the right really (this include bare shaft testing):-(

Sorry..have I derailed this thread with a problem that only I experience?

Cheers

Offline artcher1

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 02:33:57 pm »
Have you checked yourself for which eye is dominant? Art

Offline Holten101

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2010, 02:40:06 pm »
Yeah...eye dominance is not an issue in this case (right eye is dominant).

any ways...I think I have to experiment more...im vasting valuable forum space with a problem that is obviously not shared by many of my fellow archers;-)

Cheers

Offline artcher1

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 09:51:08 am »
That pretty much just leaves your form Holten. Bow hand/release perhaps?  I know when my arrows hit left it's one of the two.......or both.    Art