Author Topic: Bowyers Bible Arrow Impact Explanation - Is it wrong?  (Read 11283 times)

Offline Gary Mac

Re: Bowyers Bible Arrow Impact Explanation - Is it wrong?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 10:30:56 am »
Hi Holten
You’re not on your own with that apparent problem mate, I have exactly the same scenario as you do. I shoot ELB and my bow hand is my arrow rest.
I also suspect that I am shooting with grossly under-spined arrows 'BUT!' . . . Read the following:

I live in England and I had a chat about this with one of my fletchery suppliers: Richard Head Longbows. Richard is well know in the UK for his involvement in supplying parts and teaching the ELB shooting form.

I told him about this problem and he felt that I should experiment with my 'String Picture.'
I also shoot recurve (modern Olympic style) and with that, I pull my string to the tip of the nose with the string also passing the side of my chin. I am a right handed shooter. With my recurve string picture, my right eye is positions directly behind the string so I can see it (slightly blurred). I usually line that up with the right hand side of my sight aperture so that my sighting integrity remains consistent.

Now for the stinger . . . .

Richard suggested that I try recurve shooting form with my ELB concentrating on 'String Picture, but, with a slight difference to the recurve:
He suggested I place the string, in my string picture to line up down the left hand side of the bow stave and directly in-line with the arrow shaft from rear to tip (I am a right handed shooter).
To help you, I have attached a PDF Document written by Hugh McBrien .
A very valuable document that deals with Longbow shooting form.
Since I followed this advice, my arrows have now dramatically moved into correct centershot.
I hope it helps you in some way.
Let me know how you get on.

www.garymac.net/elbcoaching.pdf

Note: I must tell you as a GNAS Archery Coach that you must not over-look the following advice:
Most archers I see shooting ELB's stop at the anchor point. I wish that term would have never been invented in archery because there is no such thing.
Once you reach your 'reference point ' on your face you should never stop pulling, if you do, you ruin the release totally causing it to snap and change the paradox of your arrow clearance. You 'must' always keep pulling during the transfer phase to the back muscles and release on the pull causing your string hand to fly directly back on release. A much more aligned realease will be accomplished this way.

Gary
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:41:31 am by Gary Mac »