Author Topic: Backing starting to fracture on warbow  (Read 12972 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Backing starting to fracture on warbow
« on: May 05, 2007, 04:45:36 pm »
Just noticed this morning that the hickory backing on my yellowheart hickory backed longbow is starting to crack and lift up at a nick on the edge of the backing right at the handle. Is there any way to fix this or should I just build another one? First warbow I built so I would like to save it. Next time I think I will put a silk or linnen backing on the bow to protect against this.

Anyone know how to put a linnen backing on a warbow?

Thanks!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

SimonUK

Re: Backing starting to fracture on warbow
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 08:46:38 pm »
I've never done a linnen backing, but if it's at the handle, can't you put some glue on and bind it very tight? Then the binding could become a grip. The question is, where is it going to happen next?

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 09:51:53 am »
D.

If it were me I would fill the crack with CYA......glue down the splinter with CYA....when with a fine grit paper.....remove any excess CYA that will squeeze out.....

THen wait and see what happens.....or if you want to buy yourself some insurance....get some raw silk and go ahead an back it.....with silk being so light.....it will not alter the tiller......or at least it shouldnt...... :-\
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline outcaste

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 05:21:23 pm »
Hi David,

You could always put a strip of rawhide over the whole bow or just the section involved and bind with linen.

Cheers, Outcaste
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 05:29:36 pm by outcaste »

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 06:01:11 pm »
Think I may try the glue thing and then wrapping the handle and make a new bow! I know a bit more now and should be able to build a better one.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 07:37:50 am »
Did you round the back on the bow? If not then you could glue the splinter down and then work the backing round to get rid of as much of the splinter as possible
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 03:28:24 pm »
Thanks for the sugestion Mark. Unfortunatly the backing is too thin to try that. Next bow I'm going to try is going to use two laminate backings of Hickory and probably one 1/2 inch belly of Elm. I will round the back a bit first and then add a silk backing to the bow to make sure it does not lift up. Then start work on the belly of the bow and tillering it. I think I will go for a more rounded belly instead of the High crowned D style I used on this one. I have a fealing it will fit the hand a bit better too. This one had too sharp of and edge on the back and kept bruising the hand if held too tightly. Was getting a pretty good toss on the arrows though.

David T