Author Topic: Differences in Bodkin points?  (Read 56237 times)

Lloyd

Re: Differences in Bodkin points?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 11:24:14 am »
I've seen some of these points in person. They look OK but they weigh less than 200 grains. Definitely not a real bodkin. More like a field point disguising itself as a bodkin. They are OK if you want to dress up your regular target arrows as make believe war arrows.
These http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=345&c=22 are much better but they are still pretty light for a real war head.

Offline Loki

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 01:01:22 pm »
Thats a lot better than the one east archer is interseted in,pricey,but nice  :D.A hand forged point like that one Lloyd would cost around £20 in England!
You can get drop forged Bodkins reletivaly cheap (£1.50-£2.50 each)and they look a lot better than the one on offer from the bowstick site.
Durham,England

Far East Archer

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 01:17:28 pm »
 200 grains? pffff thats weak....Didnt know the heads I was looking at were that light. The one you showed is nice, just kinda pricey for me. My next choice was the heads at DIY archery, either the hand forged or drop forged ones but I wonder if they ship to japan........

-Alex

Miles

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 04:40:43 pm »
The one I was shooting the Armor with are from HE and 3/8"some smaller and are ligth most of the ones I maded are for 1/2" and all most too hvy.I'm not a back smith I needed to put on arrows for target testing  the HE heads are what I had at the time and I the shot all this back Apil for fun.
I 've had to make Big Chested arrows to make the HE heads useabul footing and still have a fat war arrow 1/2"+ size, hey I'm not all that happy them but I got them so I'm use them some how.

I've seen some of these points in person. They look OK but they weigh less than 200 grains. Definitely not a real bodkin. More like a field point disguising itself as a bodkin. They are OK if you want to dress up your regular target arrows as make believe war arrows.
These http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=345&c=22 are much better but they are still pretty light for a real war head.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 05:14:37 pm by Miles »

Lloyd

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2007, 12:14:33 am »
Thats a lot better than the one east archer is interseted in,pricey,but nice  :D.A hand forged point like that one Lloyd would cost around £20 in England!
You can get drop forged Bodkins reletivaly cheap (£1.50-£2.50 each)and they look a lot better than the one on offer from the bowstick site.

More like £11 from John Marshall. For £20 you are getting into broadheads from Mark Stretton or Hector Cole. with shipping those commercial heads cost about $9.00 each which is a lot better than $20 or so for good hand forged broadheads, although I prefer hand forged heads myself. Machined heads look so ...machined :D
I've also used the English commercial bodkins and they are not bad but they are still way too light. For livery arrows I like my heads to weigh at least 300 grains or so for type 7s and about 500 grains for a type 9a or a big swallow tail (14d or 14c are my favorites)