Author Topic: prehistoric arrow making tool kit.  (Read 11546 times)

Offline swamp monkey

prehistoric arrow making tool kit.
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:39:55 pm »
Seldom do you see the items needed to make an arrow all gathered together in one spot.  Here is prehistoric arrow making tool kit.  Clockwise from the TDC (top dead center) are arrow heads, fore-shafts (if needed with cane or phragmites), shaft grinders made of sandstone, pine pitch on a stick, arrow straightener made of antler, flint knife on antler handle, flint hand held scraper, assorted bits of sinew from a whitetail deer.  I left shafts out to make the shot closer for the small stuff.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: prehistoric arrow making tool kit.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:51:11 pm »
I like it.   :)

A while ago I posted my own stone age kit.  Missing is the sinew, glue, paint, and feathers but you can see them in my thread.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg112/jackcrafty/3-22-09/020.jpg

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,12020.0.html
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:45:00 am »
Prtty cool. Did you make the sandstone shaft straightners. I always thought it would work better to grind shafts on a large sandstone block or boulder.         Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 06:34:53 pm »
Pretty cool. Did you make the sandstone shaft straighteners. I always thought it would work better to grind shafts on a large sandstone block or boulder.         Kenneth
Kenneth, I did make the shaft grinder. it is made from a course sandstone.  I was able to score a line around it (as if marking the lines for a hamburger bun to open) and split it into two equal pieces.  then I scored the arrow channel.  All scoring was done with a nail.  I finished sizing it with anther hunk of sandstone to round out the channel.  It was pretty simple and I could see using different girt sandstone to get varying sanding options. 

Jack Crafty.  Wow, nice post.  I like the way you organize your information.  It makes replication easy.  Thanks for sharing. 

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:10:15 pm »
Thanks for sharing this.  I like the arrow grinder, that is really cool.
Traverse City, MI

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:35:54 pm »
hey  i want to get some info about
Clockwise from the TDC (top dead center) are arrow heads, fore-shafts ....

The arrow head pictured is a rib bone from a bison ground down into arrow head form.   The other is a chert point made from local chert found in SE MO.  I traded for it so I do not know much beyond that.  The foreshafts are all local hardwoods from the Ozarks.  I use elm and ash due to the need to remove them from my landscape.  I have an over abundance of ash and elm and not nearly enough post oak, white oak, and southern red oak.  So I use the trees I cut to make foreshafts.  I cut longer sections.  Whittle them down to the rough diameter I want and then cut them to length when needed.  I imagine the natives did the same thing. 

Is that the info you were looking for or did I stop short?   Let me know.  I am glad to share what I know.