Linked Events

• Tennessee Classic: May 04, 2007
  • Tennessee Classic: May 05, 2007
  • Tennessee Classic: May 06, 2007

Author Topic: 10 Annual Tennessee Classic  (Read 159480 times)

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
10 Annual Tennessee Classic
« on: December 08, 2006, 11:04:18 am »
The Tn. Classic will be held this year the 4/5/6 May 2007.Lots of bow building and shooting going on.It was featured in The latest issue of P.A. and they done a great job on it.We really enjoyed having them down.If you need more info e mail me at[ markbaggett@detdist.com]or pick up a issue of PA.It's all there.Thank hope to see some of you folks there and put some faces with the names.You can come early I will be there all week.
   Pappy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 11:34:02 pm by Calendargirl »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
Re: 10 Annual Tennessee Classic
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 06:36:43 am »
What about it.Any of yall going to try and make it.I know you would love it.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 09:21:46 am »
I am making plans to be there.
If I can take a day of vacation time from work I will be there on Thursday the 3rd.
Looking foward to it.
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 09:41:38 am »
Great David,I think we are going to have a big crowd,might need to add on again.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 02:32:54 pm »
It is worth the trip for the Saturday night feast!...and we TN boys will be doing some pickin after that.

Ya all need to bring the whole family. You won't find a better host than Pappy, and the course and facilities are as good as you are gonna find anywhere.

Chad
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 01:34:38 pm »
Pappy, my son and I are plannin on bein there

Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 01:52:29 pm »
Can't wait to meet some of you guys/gals.I know you will have a big time.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 09:11:18 pm »
Pappy, I'd love to come down and hang out with you guys, but I dont know its a long........Drive!  :P
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Ryano

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 09:12:06 pm »
give me the adress so I can map quest it....just for fun. ::)

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 06:23:03 am »
Ryano,I don't know the address to the farm,but my home is within 5 miles and it is
4435 Ashland city rd.Clarksville,Tn. 37043.Ya it's a long drive but would love to see ya.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 01:48:38 pm »
Pappy, its about a 10 and half hour drive to your place from here, thats not that bad I guess, I'll have to see what the wife thinks about it.... ::)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 02:30:20 pm »

Ryan, we'd really love to have you and the wife join us! Might let you help out teaching some newbies if you find some free time on your hands! ;D

I'd like to talk shop with you as well, we really like to continue to learn from other bowyers and their techniques. Might could bring one of those big recurve forms with you to compare to ours. ;)

Really would like anyone out there to visit us especially for this shoot, regardless of your experience level. There is a lot of bow making going on in a short period of time.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 08:35:25 pm »
The Wife gave me the ok as long as we can come up with the extra cash to come down...she put in for those days off of work! ;D

tomgunz

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 05:34:24 pm »
Pappy- I am a fellow Clarksvillian, and my son and I are very interested in learning about traditional archery.  We would like to make it to the Classic this year and learn about making bows and shooting.  Since we are both beginners/novices at this what would we be able to do?  My son will be 10 years old and is very excited about this, as am I. 

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 08:19:15 pm »

Tomgunz, I'll give you some information and I'm sure Pappy will add more. Pappy and I are the two in the club most involved with the bow making part of the shoot.  The actual Tn. Classic May shoot is for traditional equipment only...longbows, recurves, and selfbows all without use of sights. As a side event of the shoot, we have what we call the Selfbow Challenge.

Basically the "Challenge" is starting out with an untillered bow stave (tillering is the process of thinning and balancing the limbs basically to a finished bow) without string notches cut in it, and over the three day weekend make a bow and shoot the tournament with the new bow. It is a special class in that you're only competing against others that have made bows during the "Challenge". You can bring your own bow stave, or purchase one from the club for a small amount while they last. We've had people start out with a split log that has to be worked all the way through to a finished bow, to actually starting with a roughed in bow stave (no string notches). With the short amount of time available, I would recommend having the bow roughed in without notches cut if possible to start off with.

We have probably a dozen or so vises/work benches with some tools such as rasps and scrappers for loan while they last. We have strings pre-made of various lengths. There are several band saws that mainly Pappy and I use as needed during the event. We attempt to help and give direction all we can, but it gets pretty busy at times when perhaps half the people have never made a bow. For those experienced bowyers, if you have room please bring some of your own equipment such as benches/vises, tools, etc. as we do have a limited supply. For the most part all is under roof though open air, and their are lights...we've had people working on bows well past midnight before!

What we strive to accomplish is that at minimum everyone has a good time, and new folks to bow making leave with a much better understanding of the bow making process. For some it may be their only involvement with the sport, but we've had a lot of people start a new and enjoyable hobby from this event. I'm one of them myself from five years ago! I had been shooting traditional equipment for close to twenty years, but had never made a bow. Now I enjoy the bowmaking as much as I have a life time of hunting with bows.

We have vendors at this shoot selling traditional supplies, so you should be able to purchase any accessories you need. There is a practice coarse with set distances (bales), as well as a free 3D 20 target course better then many clubs main courses. Also have the main course of the actual shoot involving I think 40 targets. Primitive camping is available at the club, 1st come 1st serve. We also have concession's including breakfast and lunch. There is a potluck dinner with a lot of wild game on Saturday night, also country musicians that night around the concessions area.

Few people actually completely finish a bow during the event such as properly sealing the bow, grip, etc. But the majority of people have gotten their bows tillered and shooting so that they can shoot the tournament. We give direction on how to totally complete any bows not finished. I'm sure I've missed something, Pappy knows all the details much better then I do. But I hope I've given you and anyone interested at least an idea of what we're offering. Hope to see you in May!

p.s. There is information about the Tn. Classic in PA including Pappy's phone # for further details. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...