Author Topic: journey to cumberland  (Read 15968 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: journey to cumberland
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 05:37:52 pm »
yeah i think antler was available. at first it didnt appear so.  the dating of 10500bp for these cumbies is odd. by 10500 most of the large animal like mastodon and mammoth had died off. caribou moose and elk were around but a point of this size seems more in reference to the big beasts. however deer antler was around at the time of the cumbie so i'll use it.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 05:41:06 pm »
yeah my brain is locked into these things. was just looking at yours and im wondering if fluting to the tip was accidental. i see no reason why it should be done or needed to be done. . enquiring minds wanna know.  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 06:58:02 pm »
You should be getting a big heavy box with sharp edges sticking outa it and mail man blood on it, some time next week ;)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 07:08:43 pm »
i likes bloody mailmen with bad backs! =>

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2010, 07:11:24 pm »
 :) ;) :D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline xin

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 08:11:49 pm »
Or, how about a small stick just narrower than the projectile with a notch about an inch deep with the point inserted to the bottom and then bound tightly with wet rawhide.  Easy to make and ultimately portable.  The stick acts as a splint supporting the faces of the projectile point and the rawhide supports the sides while the tip is supported by the bottom of the notch.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 08:58:18 pm by xin »

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 08:38:34 pm »
Xin,
 The only issue with that would be that the face were the flute is to be removed would also be bound, and the would prevent the flute from coming off cleanly.

Mililani Hawaii

Offline xin

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2010, 09:01:43 pm »
10-4     Forgot a cumberland goes almost to the point.  Maybe it would work on a clovis that only goes one third of the point.

Offline jamie

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 09:08:07 pm »
tried supporting the tip on a log and striking the nipple.it has promise buti got the same flutes as i have been getting. again i knew where they would break off by imperfections in the ridge. i think the toughest part of this is going to be getting the ridge perfect.

waterbury, ct

Offline stickbender

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 10:00:14 pm »

How about the forked stick idea, only taking a straight stick, and putting a notch in it, and then putting the point in that notch, and then taking two sticks, with straight grooves on one side, and putting those on the edges, and then lashing, and or gluing the sticks to the main stick, with the point in it.  ? ;)  Just a thought, if you can't find the "right" forked stick, make one.  ;D  I just wish I could make a blade like that, never mind the cumberland, or any particular style. :(  That is nice work.
                                                                       Wayne

Offline jamie

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 10:03:49 pm »
wayne my brain just melted =>

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 10:25:12 pm »
lol
Mililani Hawaii

Offline arappaho

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 11:49:49 pm »
 ;D
This a great thread Jamie, Jesse. Keep up the great work. And Thanks.

It really does seem to make sense the reason the Cumbie flute
travels to the end of the point would be because it is a "pressure" driven flake.
Where as, from the looks of what you are doing, the Clovis type flutes are/were percussion driven.
It is very hard to imagine a Cumbie flute percussion driven.
But I'll be watching, and learning,
Thanks again guys,
Joe

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 06:48:45 am »
Jamie Ive done it with percussion but fooling around I bopped the tip as a nipple as well as the base!  It works that way!  basically making a rectangle preform making nipples at both ends and striking afterwards finish with pressure flaking... I might not be the best out there but perhaps I might have found the way  or one way!!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline jamie

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 07:06:40 am »
i agree russ. ive fluted from both ends too. there are artifacts that show fluting from both ends too. but theres a 7" cumberland found in a clay bank in kentucky that is fluted from base to tip on one side and base to almost tip on the other. i have a good idea of where im gonna start as far as jigs go. i just need to find the time. everytime i go to make the jig another question pops up in my head. ;D

waterbury, ct