Author Topic: Friendship Arrow  (Read 14757 times)

Offline Gordon

Friendship Arrow
« on: May 06, 2007, 10:57:08 pm »
Yesterday Bryan Briand and I had planned to go turkey hunting together. When he came by my house to pick me up he handed me a small tube and said he hoped I liked it. When I removed the item from the tube I was completely floored. It was an amazing hand-crafted primitive arrow. The shaft is Oregon river-cane, the fletching is made from Oregon turkey primaries, and the head is carved from an elk leg bone.

There is a story behind the bone that made this gift particularly meaningful. Brian was with me two years ago on the last day of the elk season when I shot my first (and only) elk. It looked like I had made a good hit from the initial blood sign, but 9 grueling and heartbreaking hours later we broke off the search when we could not find any trace of the animal. The following spring I was scouting in the same area I came upon a pile of bones which I believe were the remains of the elk I had shot. I brought a few of the larger bones home with me and showed them to Bryan. He asked me for one of the bones and said he would make me something to remember the elk and our experience together.

This is one of the nicest gifts I have ever received. Bryan, you are truly a fine craftsman and a great friend. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Gordon

Lloyd

Re: Friendship Arrow
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 11:01:59 pm »
That is one beautiful arrow!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 02:05:00 am »
Nice! Now go shoot anothe elk with it!  ;D  Now that would be a cool story!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:43:53 am »
Beautiful arrow Gordon better yet a gift from the heart from a true friend - Priceless

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

MattE

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 10:47:27 am »
I like your arrow. It is very well made.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:19:59 am »
Very nice arrow Gordon. I love the coloration! Do you think Brian will give up and of his secrets?  It is a shame about your elk but at least now you have something to help remember the adventure.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StanM

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 12:50:45 pm »
Great arrow, given by a very fine gentleman to a very fine gentleman.  Happy to have spent time with both of you fellas.

Now, did you see any turkeys?  :)

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 05:14:34 pm »
Thank you for the nice compliment Stan.

We didn't see or hear any turkeys. Bryan said that in 3 years of hunting that area this was a first (not seeing anything).

We pretty much gave up by noon and spent the rest of the day collecting bow wood and arrow shafts.

Gordon
Gordon

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 12:44:57 am »
Beautiful arrow, such mementos mean sooooo much.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

perry

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 09:43:21 am »
       Lovely story Gordon , gifts from the heart such as that arrow are treasured foreever . regards Perry

Dustybaer

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 04:27:54 am »
i start sounding like a broken record, but this forum attracts the finest people out there.  not only the talent, but the generosity never ceases to amaze me.  beautiful arrow, by the way  ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 07:40:37 am »
Beautiful arrow Gordon,and cool story,good friends are worth there weight in gold. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Trapper

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 06:43:06 pm »
Pat that fletching job looks kinda familiar dont it?  Trapper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 09:31:36 pm »
Steve, I've seen similar fletchings somewhere before! ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dingleberry

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 12:15:42 pm »
Great Arrow and story,  Worthy of hangin on the wall but also worthy of nailin an elk....awesome