Author Topic: question about edge ring bows  (Read 5358 times)

tyler

question about edge ring bows
« on: May 07, 2007, 12:47:46 am »

has anyone ever tried making a edge ringed bow using both the sapwood and heartwood in the bow? i have two pieces of hickory that i have split off of a stave that was cut at an angle to the grain.  there not wide  enough to use only sapwood or heartwood in the bow and there not wide enough to make a "normal" bow. i think ill try it any way just looking to see if anyone has tried it and to what result. futhermore i think if it works it would make one of the most unique self bows because of the colour contrast.    --- Tyler ---

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: question about edge ring bows
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 01:30:00 am »
Tyler, Keep us informed with your progress. Why not do a pictorial build a long!    Only a guess on my part but I'd say the side with the sapwood would be thicker when the bow is dome. Good luck.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:56:51 am »
I've made edge grained board bows and never payed attention to sapwood/hardwood. Just make sure the edge of the stave is straight grained with only a few run ups or outs. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »
Pecan bow made from edge ringed "block-like" board.
Sapwood and heartwood

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:08:54 pm »
Nice!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

tyler

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 07:48:13 pm »
Now thats the inspiration I was looking for!   thanks.  and that does look sweeet.
                              --- tyler ---