Author Topic: 100# shortbow?  (Read 6100 times)

a finnish native

100# shortbow?
« on: May 07, 2007, 07:27:56 am »
I'm planning on a 100"+ shorty. It would be somewhat 48-50" long and with sinew backing. I'll try to make it from Rowan, but am also considering juniper, because of the amount of compression it can take. let me know what you think of this project. the only bummer is that I think I will have to wait till fall, because moose hunting season is then, and it is the only good chance to get sinew..

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: 100# shortbow?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 12:32:44 pm »
lot's of weight from a short bow,I've never went quite that high .my heavest short was a 75# osage bow 42" long and 24" draw . You can probally do it.
        I would look for a real clean juniper compression stave. A stave from the underside  of a leaning tree . The back of the stave becomes the belly of the bow (the bow is reversed) ,and I would try to loose the sapwood. Compression wood is very stong in conifers.

Ralph

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 04:32:25 pm »
What draw length?

I made a hickory selfbow that was barely 50", it pulled 70lb@27" but nobody really wanted to pull it that far.  It was only 1.5" wide, tapering to 5/8" at tips and was somwhere around 3/4" thick towards the handle.  Sinew will help hold things together but I wouldn't let it get too much reflex since you are already going to be stressing this wood pretty severely.  I'd probably make it the better part of 2" wide or at least 1.75".  Do some beefy nocks, I used side nocks and one of them started to split.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

a finnish native

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 04:42:25 pm »
the drawlenght I use in sinew bakced bows is half of the lenght so somewhere around 23-25"