Author Topic: Slingbows!  (Read 24096 times)

Offline JoergS

• The Slingshot Channel Blog
Re: Slingbows!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 12:44:32 am »
I use Thera Band rubber, made by the Hygenic corp., you can find it on ebay.

The flat band type delivers the best performance, as you can cut it in a tapered fashion (so it is much wider at the fork than at the pouch). This way, the "payload" is much lower, more projectile speed at a lower draw.

You need a metal ruler and a roll cutter to cut the 14cm wide rubber into the desired dimensions.

Jörg
"The Slingshot Channel"

Offline Jesse

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 01:13:38 am »
Thanks for sharing. Those are great. I like the shotgun design as well. Looks like it would be very effective for birds.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline markinengland

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 03:51:29 am »
Jorg,

Would be great to see you turn your ingenuity into something that would alow us to shoot those steel balls from a conventional bow.

The Saracens used to shoot darts and other similar small projectiles from a bow using a tube. I think the tube was loosely attached to drawing hand with a loop. The bow string and tube with projectile inside were drawn back and when at full draw the string released. Of course the tube is still held in the drawing hand. The string travels down a slot cut through the tube and the dart or projectile released.

I guess all that is really needed is a tube of the correct bore, with a slot cut down the centre to allow for the full draw length, and some kind of sprung latch to hold the ball in the correct position close to the string once loaded.

Suprised to see that your rubber powered slingshot had better penetration into the ballistic gell than the crossbow.

Offline JoergS

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 05:04:33 am »
markinengland, it has been done. This video shows it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/xxNonexistancexx#p/u/5/A4b4xdKFE-c

I am in contact with the inventor, Anthony Hanson. It seems possible to bring out a conversion kit for bows that allow shooting steel balls based on the (patented) concept shown in the video.

Here is the related patent:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=gvgnAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

I will try to bring Mr. Hanson in contact with some of the manufacturers out there as I think a conversion kit would have a market chance.

Jörg

"The Slingshot Channel"

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 11:30:55 am »
I would really enjoy shooting paint balls out of my bow. That would be a paintball war worth having.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JoergS

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 12:48:28 pm »
Well, you know that there is the airowgun conversion kit?

http://www.airowgun.com/paint.php

"The Slingshot Channel"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 01:14:39 pm »
Thats awsome joerg! thanks for sharring, love the videos too very well done and easy to follow. thanks ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 04:34:22 pm »
Well, you know that there is the airowgun conversion kit?

http://www.airowgun.com/paint.php

Yes I have seen that but I want to shoot them from my longbow.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 02:42:51 pm »
This is sweet I will be cutting my slingbow out today
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995