Author Topic: primitive fishing kit  (Read 12960 times)

Offline swamp monkey

primitive fishing kit
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:33:04 pm »
I am fortunate to provide programs from time to time on Primitive skills.  This gathering of items I take with me to displays or programs on the subject.  It is my primitive fishing tool kit.   

The first image has various hook types.  Two Gorges, one compound hook (bone and wood with some deer hair for attraction), and a totally wooden hook.  I also have some deer toe bone hooks I will try to find pictures of.  I have used the bone hooks and they break WAY too easy for the time invested in making them. 

The second image has from left to right, Dogbane cord for line, cane bobbers for attachment to a net or to a fishing line, bone gorges made from a raccoon, and a cane bottle and stopper for holding the gorges. 

The third image has some fishing tackle that is projectile in nature.   A bone point barbed gig on a hickory shaft wrapped in Dogbane.  The gig tip is inserted like a trade point.  The middle is a dogwood double barb tip inserted in cane to be an arrow.  The for right is a hickory shaft with three Osage orange tips sharpened and heat treated.  The tip are placed in a portion of the shaft carved in a bit at an angle so the tips point out form the shaft.   By the way the net in the background is hand woven from Dogbane cord.  It took almost 300 feet for cordage to make this 1/2" mesh net.  The net is now on Display at the Cape Girardeau Nature Center. 

The fourth image is a self portrait of sorts with liberties taken with hair and dress.  It shows my idea of atlatl fishing as a native.

Offline swamp monkey

Re: primitive fishing kit
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 05:46:34 pm »
Archaic natives to historic times used nets, spears, stone weirs and wooden traps, as well as poison to catch fish.  Using the gorges and hooks were supplemental - the real fishing was done with serious intent NOT to starve. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:52:21 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:04:12 pm »
Cool. Have pondered the idea of primitive fishing many times. Thanks
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 07:40:07 pm »
Awesome looking kit atlatl fishing that would be cool.
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano