Author Topic: Slingbows!  (Read 23968 times)

Offline JoergS

• The Slingshot Channel Blog
Slingbows!
« on: December 23, 2010, 12:37:52 pm »
Hello,

and please allow me to introduce myself first.

I am Jörg Sprave, 45, a German. My main interest is designing, making and presenting slingshots. I run the (non profit) "Slingshot Channel" on youtube, which has been growing quite a bit these last two years.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave

My work does not only cover the conventional Y-shaped fork, but I also made complex pulley equipped frames, slingshot crossbows (firing balls and arrows), flechette shooters - and slingbows.

My slingbows are very basic, homemade arrow shooters that are powered by rubber. Other than that, a slingbow is very comparable to a recurve bow, with no reduced let off like a compound. The energy levels are also quite comparable. But I think it is much easier to make a slingbow than a recurve bow...

Here are a few videos about slingbows.

Tutorial (how to make a slingbow):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz3ruRsh-HY

Simple slingbow with whisker biscuit and collapsible arrows:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfB0yRtGhC0

"African Goddess":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFTpIlAh6iM

Shootout; Slingbow vs. Small compounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aP_gKlQd-s

Homemade whisker biscuit, from toilet brushes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cJ9JYcRlMk

Homemade Slingshot Crossbow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9t6Xg2XRic

None of my "products" are for sale, and I have zero commercial interest. This is just a great hobby for me.

I have no idea if my little slingbow presentations are welcome here, but I thought I just give it a try.

Greetings from christmas time Germany

Jörg
"The Slingshot Channel"

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Slingbows!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 03:27:26 pm »
Man, I have watched two of your videos and those are the best things I have ever seen! Thank you for posting em. I know you don't wanna sell em, but someones gonna watch your videos, and make a patent on em. You should at least patent em all, even your take down arrows, and then when someone with big money wants to cash in on your inventions you can sell your patent for big $. Thats the way I would think it anyway. Man your slingbows look fun. Your "african goddess" one I think is my favorite. I think the one with the armbrace is would be nicer to shoot though. Fps wise they shoot great!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:56:48 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JoergS

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 04:02:58 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.

I do have a great job and I am financially comfortable. So I decided that my hobby won't ever become commercial. I have given a few designs to commercial companies (in China, in the UK, in the US) for free, and some of them are selling the related products quite successfully. This makes me proud, which is all the payment I want.

Jörg
"The Slingshot Channel"

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 04:04:34 pm »
Jorg,  Quite ingenius inventions you have there, looks like fun! Thanks for posting your sites.
Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 04:30:52 pm »
"I have given a few designs to commercial companies (in China, in the UK, in the US) for free, and some of them are selling the related products quite successfully. This makes me proud, which is all the payment I want."

Cool. Sorry if it seemed like I was rudely trying to financially advice you. I guess I was just b.s.-ing, :) I'm going to have to try to make me one someday! Ingenious bows.

Offline JoergS

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 04:40:20 pm »
That is perfectly OK. If I had to, I could no doubts make a living from my primitive weaponmaking skills. It's good to know! But a hobby looses its charm when you have to meet deadlines, deal with tax issues and customer complaints.

Jörg
"The Slingshot Channel"

Offline markinengland

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 06:16:44 pm »
Very interesting. I have read of people experimenting with rubber powered "bows" but not seen them in use.

I once tried to shoot a stone out of my bow from a pouch (having played with lots of slingshots) and shot my hand!

Offline JonW

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:17:44 pm »
Man those things are wayyy cool ! I am gonna have to build me one of those. I have tried shooting arrows out of a wrist rocket and thought there ought to be a better way and you definately have it. Keep up the experiments and thanks for posting.

Jon W.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:29:18 pm »
Ok, it's not a bow, but it's certainly cool.
Nicely produced videos too.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 08:03:34 pm »
I can't wait to see what that crank sling shot can do. If I had an old car that didn't work or something I would give it to you just so you could destroy it.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 08:28:47 pm »
very cool and welcome.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 10:37:53 pm »
how bout a couple full draws , i cant see the videos on this satelite internet. shows them in segments

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 10:54:19 pm »
That is the coolest thing I think I ever did see!! Two days ago a friend ask if I had seen the guy shooting arrows out of a slingshot, Now I believe him!!  Great work!!!!!!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 12:05:28 am »
Those are pretty cool Jorg, I am going to make me one of those slingbows for shooting coyote. My question is where do you get the rubber and what is it called?
Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline oat

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 12:16:24 am »
 ;D This is interesting.
Here, in Thailand, people actually using similar style, sling x-bow, for hunting. It 's not uncommon to see folk guys go fish/frog hunting with their x-sling at the end of raining day.

Here are some of their weapons, some with reel or scope attached.