Author Topic: trying to make a bow for turkey hunting  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Blacktail

trying to make a bow for turkey hunting
« on: December 23, 2010, 09:14:14 pm »
the bow i want to make is for me sitting on my butt and back against a tree...this is going to be a short one..i have been throwing some ideas around and this is what i am looking at..#1 wood type-yew..#2 length-54-52''...#3 bend threw handle..#4 sinew backed...#5 limb width 1'' wide to 1/2 nocks..#6 flip tips...so,how does this sound for a bow..sitting on my rear will shorten up my draw but that is o.k...i wish i could leave the handle a little stiff to get some weight but i don't know if that is possible...this is some thing i have all ways wanted to make for turkey hunting and just sitting back in the wood throwing out turkey calls..thanks john

Offline Little John

Re: trying to make a bow for turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:30:34 pm »
Best get started, spring turkey season is just around the corner. Good luck with the bow and the turkeys.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 10:04:51 pm »
Good luck, i think it sounds doable, i don't see why you couldn't leave the handle alittle stiff. What kind of draw length are you wanting out of it ?  It's a pretty neat feeling taking a Turkey with a bow you made you'r self  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:45:03 pm »
I have only limited experience with yew as a bow wood but 1" wide seems a little too narrow even if sinew backed.
I'd suggest starting with 1-3/8" limbs and narrow them if it seems they're getting too thin when final tillering.

hopefully someone with more experience with yew will chime in.........
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 12:52:16 pm »
I agree with sonny.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 02:23:03 pm »
 John I agree with Sonny and Mark.  Most my yew bows are 1 1/2 - 1 3/8  wide at the fades.  Wider and thinner equals less set and will also allow for more sinew to work. ;)  Looking dorward to your turkey bow. ;)